Re: The Cambrian an alternative perspective - repost

From: James Mahaffy (mahaffy@mtcnet.net)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 21:47:08 EDT

    Keith thought he had posted this to ASA list but sent it only to me by
    mistake and asked me to post it since I still had a copy.
    JFM

    Just a few comments about James post.

    I have not read Glens web article, but I have followed quite closely
    the literature on the Precambrian/Cambrian transition. Many of the
    critical discoveries relevant to this issues have been descirbed only
    within the last two years - too recent for even Clarkson's text.

    I will briefly describe some of these below:

    1) A fossil called Kimberella is found in the Late Precambrian
    ediacaran and is interpreted by many workers as being a very primitive
    mollusk.
    In fact it appears quite close to the hypothetical ancestral mollusk
    previously suggested (see Fedonkin & Waggoner, 1997, The Late
    Precambrian fossil Kimberella is a mollusc-like bilaterian organism:
    Nature, vol. 388). Scratch marks previous thought to possibly be
    arthropod appendage marks are now believed to represent radula marks
    from these organisms.

    With other known body fossils, the Late Precambrian record of living
    metazoan phyla now includes sponges, coelenterates, and mollusks. With
    less confidence some body fossils are attributed to echinoderms.
    Several bilaterian ("worm") phyla are present although there is dispute
    as to the their taxonomic identity. There are also a host of
    beautifully preserved metaphytic algae. This leaves brachiopods,
    arthropods, annellids, and chordates as the living skeletonized
    invertebrate phyla that currently are known to first appear in the
    Cambrian. Bryozoa are first known in the Ordovician. There does appear
    to be a close anatomical similarity between annellids and the primitive
    mollusks of the Cambrian.

    2) There are also new discoveries that are pushing the appearance of
    metazoans back before the ediacaran. The most spectacular of these is
    the discovery of phosphatized embryos already discussed on this forum.

    3) The transition from univalved helionellid mollusks
    (monoplacophorans) to bivalves through a group of rostroconchs in the
    early Cambrian seems now quite well established. There are now know
    intermediate specimens that occur in the chronological position.
    (Gubanov, Kouchinsky, and Peel, 1999, The first evolutionary-adaptive
    lineage within fossil molluscs: Lethaia, 32:155-157.)

    3) Recent work does strongly suggest the phylum-level transition from
    lobopods to arthropods. The fossil sequence is from the onychophora,
    to armoured lobopods such as Microdictyon, to gill-bearing lobopods such
    as Kerygmachela, to the stem-group arthropod Pambdelurion, to
    anomolacarids and euarthropods. What is really exciting about this
    proposed transition is that the skeletal/muscular systems are known in
    several of these taxa - onycophorans, Kerygmachela, Pambdelurion, and
    euarthropods. What this sequence illustrates is a change from
    peripheral muscle with an incompressible haemocoel, to a combination of
    peripheral and skeletal muscle, to a loss of peripheral muscle and the
    mineralization of the cuticle. (Budd, G.E., 1998, Arthropod body-plan
    evolution in the Cambrian with an example from anomalocarid muscle:
    Lethaia, 31: 197-210.)

    Keith

    Keith B. Miller
    Department of Geology