Re: The Cambrian an alternative perspective - repost

From: Bert Massie (bert@massie-labs.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 10:35:27 EDT

    "Howard J. Van Till" wrote:

    > Glenn asks:
    >
    > > So I would ask anyone reading this,
    > > Why is it that we never read of this data in Christian books? Why?
    >
    > Because Christians are especially susceptible to the practice of replacing
    > the results of good natural science (performed for the purpose of learning
    > more about the actual character of the Creation) with "folk science."
    >
    > "Folk science" is a set of beliefs about the world -- beliefs whose primary
    > function is to provide the believer with comfort and reassurance that
    > another set of worldview beliefs, already in place, remains credible.
    >
    > The source of folk science beliefs are numerous and varied: community
    > traditions; self-appointed "authorities" within the community; particular
    > readings of selected portions of a revered or sacred text; pseudo-science;
    > fringe science; selected results of good professional science; etc.
    >
    > Folk science is not unique to Christians. Evolutionary Naturalism (a
    > naturalistic worldview presented as if it were warranted by the scientific
    > concept of evolution) can also be viewed as a folk science.
    >
    > Folk science is attractive to any community that is more concerned to
    > protect and preserve the tenets of its received worldview (or other beliefs
    > commonly associated with it) than to use new knowledge to test or modify its
    > worldview.
    >
    > Howard Van Till

    *************
    "Folk Science" is also accompanied by "Folk Logic" and there has been plenty of
    this on this board.

    1. "What you say is wrong because you do not have credentials acceptable to the
    reader."

    2. "Everyone who knows anything about this subject knows what the right answer
    is."

    3. "This theory cannot be wrong because you have not offered an alternative
    (read naturalistic or theistic) theory to replace it."

    4. "My (read pastor or scientist) said this was true."

    5. "What are you going to believe, God or godless scientists."

    6. "This is true because most scientists believe it."

    7. "Well, this is clearly explained by (read God of the gaps or science of the
    Gaps.)"

    *********
    It would be interesting to pull these verbatim from the archives.

    Bert M