Re: The Cambrian an alternative perspective - repost

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 09:30:57 EDT

    Glenn asks:

    > So I would ask anyone reading this,
    > Why is it that we never read of this data in Christian books? Why?

    Because Christians are especially susceptible to the practice of replacing
    the results of good natural science (performed for the purpose of learning
    more about the actual character of the Creation) with "folk science."

    "Folk science" is a set of beliefs about the world -- beliefs whose primary
    function is to provide the believer with comfort and reassurance that
    another set of worldview beliefs, already in place, remains credible.

    The source of folk science beliefs are numerous and varied: community
    traditions; self-appointed "authorities" within the community; particular
    readings of selected portions of a revered or sacred text; pseudo-science;
    fringe science; selected results of good professional science; etc.

    Folk science is not unique to Christians. Evolutionary Naturalism (a
    naturalistic worldview presented as if it were warranted by the scientific
    concept of evolution) can also be viewed as a folk science.

    Folk science is attractive to any community that is more concerned to
    protect and preserve the tenets of its received worldview (or other beliefs
    commonly associated with it) than to use new knowledge to test or modify its
    worldview.

    Howard Van Till