Re: The Baddeley secret that many don't want to hear about

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Mon Dec 25 2000 - 18:04:13 EST

    Group

    Here is a remarkable story in an Australian newspaper, that I received
    via email from a friend, about the Christian faith of our Australian answer
    to `Tiger Woods', Aaron Baddeley.

    As far as I know it is not on the Web. I have not seen the article myself.

    I like this part:

            "... we non-believers too often sneer at Christians for being so weak
            as to need the crutch of faith. We should be more humble. For a
            start, driving God underground hasn't lifted happiness here, judging
            by all the young Australians now punching each other, taking drugs
            and wondering when their parents will finally come home. Besides,
            a dogged atheist is as religious as any preacher. None of us can
            explain the instant of the Big Bang, let alone what went before, and
            just as you can't prove God exists, you can't prove that he doesn't
            either. Believe in God or believe in Nothing-it is an act of faith,
            either way."

    May I take this opportunity to wish each of you a safe, happy and healthy
    Christmas-New Year.

    The Baddeley secret that many don't want to hear about.
    Andrew Bolt,
    Herald Sun Nov 30 2000

    Last Sunday, 19-year-old Aaron Baddeley grabbed his Australian Open
    trophy, leaned into the microphone and tried to tell us the secret to his
    astonishing success. But only the Herald Sun and one other city
    newspaper in Australia felt free to quote his words the next day.

    Oddly, the same thing happened when the young golfer won the Open
    last year.

    Then, too, he made a speech thanking the person he most owed it to,
    the man he later said made him feel "calm, cool, relaxed and focused on
    what I do" and "always upbeat".

    Then, too, only two city papers, by my count, published his words the
    next morning, although Australia seemed keen to know all about this
    remarkable young man.

    Isn't that strange? If Baddeley had said, for instance, that he owed it all
    to his mum or his childhood coach, would you expect our newspapers
    to avoid reporting his words?

    Of course not. So why the reluctance to publish the first words
    Baddeley used in Sunday's victory speech: "I thank my Lord and Savior
    for being with me."? Or to mention that last year he said, "I want to
    thank my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ"?

    I am not Christian myself, but I've noticed Baddeley struggling to
    persuade journalists that his faith in Christ is crucial to his success. "He
    helped me so much," he said after his first Open win. His mother agrees:
    "It is wonderful he can gain so much strength from his belief."

    But it seems journalists feel antsy hearing this. A Sydney Morning
    Herald journalist exploded: "Bloody hell just once, I mean once, could a
    newly appointed sports hero thank 'Satan, the Prince of Darkness'."

    Another SMH writer, Peter FitzSimons, snarled: 'Piety is one thing.
    Pointing to God on your shoulder at the time of your greatest triumph
    quite another.'

    And this week, a senior writer on The Australian even hinted Baddeley
    was un-Australian, damning his tribute, to Christ as "rather American",
    and pointing out he spent his first three years in the United States. In 20
    years as a journalist, I've noticed how many colleagues tend to switch
    off or smirk when talk turns to Christ. I suspect many of us even feel we
    spare interviewees embarrassment by not reporting they praise the Lord.

    The result of this quiet censorship is that the Christian God gets plenty
    of bad press-and almost none good. If a rapist tells the judge he's found
    God, we report that all right. Love that mix of sanctimony and Sin.

    But if a Christian praises God for his business success-well, that's a bit
    off, isn't it? It's a pity the Christian God is given so little credit, because
    there is no doubt that He is moving in serious ways.

    Consider how Christians now dominate our politics. Every mainstream
    political party in Canberra and Victoria today is led by a devout
    Christian, and both our Governor-General and Governor are Catholics.
    That has to be more than a coincidence.

    When covering the handover of Hong Kong to China in 1997, I found
    that the leaders of the pro-democracy forces standing up to the
    communists' bullying were all Catholics, too, including Governor Chris
    Patten, his four most powerful civil Servants and the leader of the main
    democratic party. And all Chinese, except Patten.

    It seems indisputable to me that Christianity does inspire people to do
    well, and work for the public good.

    Research confirms that Christians tend to be happier and healthier, and a
    study reported in August's Australian Social Monitor found regular
    churchgoers were also more than twice as likely to do charity work than
    were atheists and agnostics. Yet we non-believers too often sneer at
    Christians for being so weak as to need the crutch of faith.

    We should be more humble. For a start, driving God underground hasn't
    lifted happiness here, judging by all the young Australians now punching
    each other, taking drugs and wondering when their parents will finally
    come home.

    Besides, a dogged atheist is as religious as any preacher. None of us can
    explain the instant of the Big Bang, let alone what went before, and just
    as you can't prove God exists, you can't prove that he doesn't either.
    Believe in God or believe in Nothing-it is an act of faith, either way.

    Only some faiths help humans more than others. If you ask Aaron
    Baddeley, for instance, it is thanks to Christ that he is not just par for
    the course. And that's a golfing secret worth hearing.

    "And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch
    over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the
    glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel
    said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that
    will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been
    born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find
    a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." Suddenly a great
    company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and
    saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom
    his favor rests." (Luke 2:8-14)
    Stephen E. Jones | Ph. +61 8 9448 7439 | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones