Re: Can you find more errors (was Daniel's 70 weeks #6)

From: AutismUK@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 10:16:31 EST

    In a message dated 18/12/00 23:11:55 GMT Standard Time, sejones@iinet.net.au
    writes:

    > Nice try by Paul, but this fish isn't biting today! :-)

    No, it's simpler than that.

    If it comes down to things you can copy out of apologetics
    books, you have no problem. You can copy large chunks
    out and think you have "answered it".

    When one gets away from "Does the Bible say this ?" etc
    away from things in books like ETDAV and Giesler
    and looks at YOUR specific arguments (for example your
    woefully variably use of the argument from silence, see
    below) you have to think for yourself. This I conclude you
    can't do very well.

    I suppose I could just simply cut and past large chunks of
    Michael Martin, or some such, or even in the case of some
    of your wierder claims (6th BC Daniel, Non-existence of Q)
    most of the theists, but that's rather tedious. Who wishes
    to play duelling apologists anyway ?

    If you feel that you can use arguments from silence when and
    only when it suits you, why should you be surprised no-one
    takes it awfully seriously.

    As with most apologist arguments, no consistency is ever
    thought about. The function of the "argument" is simply to
    get from A to B ; that is it.

    Paul Robson

    ----------------------

    Oh, here's another one :-

    "Given that hardly anything has survived from the 1st century, what
    extra-Biblical notice that was taken of Jesus is remarkable*, and is, if
    anything, *more* than I would have expected."

    How does this work with your "Why did no-one refute it at the time
    if it wasn't true" argument ?

    and that documents that refute Christianity weren't actually destroyed
    by Christians, but were much less likely to survive because Christians
    wouldn't copy them.

    and "No. See previous. This is just an argument from silence." which
    is your sole refutation to "why did no-one other than Matthew notice
    the dead bodies on the wander".

    PS: The * means you have to justify the word remarkable