Re: Pascal's wager (was ID *does* require a designer! (but it does not need to identify who ...)

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 17:32:47 EST

    >Dear Chris
    >
    > > Since I don't really think that Jesus even existed,
    > > even as an ordinary religious nutcake of those times,
    >
    >Then your knowledge of history is grossly inferior to your physics. Do
    >you think Alexander and Nero existed? George Washington?

    Shall we compare documentation, etc. for the Jesus vs. Alexander, Nero, and
    George Washington?

    They are not even in the same general categories as far as supporting
    *evidence* is concerned. Jesus is *much* closer to the category of many
    admittedly fictional characters, characters made up by religions, including
    the religions of Jesus' day. There is *nothing* basic to the bizarre
    stories of Jesus that was not already commonplace in pre- or non-Christian
    religions. Nothing whatever. Nothing.

    Oops! Sorry. I forgot to emphasize that: *NOTHING*.

    This does not mean that someone did not exist who was called Jesus, of
    course, and to whom the miracles were attributed, etc., just as there are
    many people in the world today who supposedly work miracles for any number
    of religions. But, the fact that there is such a well-established
    alternative basis for both the biographical and the theological aspects of
    the Gospels suggests that, at very best, they are doubtful.

    Further, though it has been *claimed* that there is independent evidence
    (independent of the obviously biased and otherwise questionable New
    Testament claims) for the existence of Jesus, every time I've checked some
    such claim, it has turned out to be about as "independent" of the New
    Testament as "West Side Story" is independent of "Romeo and Juliet."

    There is one such claim that Jones refers to in an earlier post that I
    haven't checked out yet, but, knowing the lack of standards Jones applies
    to anything that seems to support his claims, I do not expect much to come
    of investigating it.

    Further, *if* there were any such strong support for the existence of
    Jesus, I'd *expect* it to be very well publicized by now, part of common
    knowledge, though, of course, if it's just *assumed* that Jesus existed,
    people might not bother to investigate or publish supporting evidence.

    But then, why all the publications of the *alleged* instances of such
    evidence that turn out to be empty?

    No; until there is strong supportive evidence, the available historical
    evidence is *against* his existence, though. This is one of those "Elephant
    at the garden party" things. If, after the garden party, those present
    during the entire event do *not* report vigorously that there was an
    elephant there, you can pretty much bet that there *was* no elephant there
    (unless, in this particular group, elephants at garden parties are a common
    occurrence). That is, if Jesus *did* exist and *did* perform all the
    stage-magician miracles he is alleged to have performed, the evidence of
    his existence would *permeate* the independent writings of the times; he'd
    have been discussed endlessly in the equivalent of the press at the time,
    and written up at *great* length, by a *large* number of people working
    without knowledge of each other, and *during* the time of Jesus' alleged
    existence.

    And so on.

    I don't regard this as an absolute disproof of Jesus' existence, but it
    makes it as questionable as the existence of any of the similar alleged
    miracle-workers of many other religious traditions.