Re: Religious Beliefs that *Require* the Falsehood of Scientific Theories

From: Susan Cogan (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 16:38:51 EST

    >Bill wald wrote:
    >
    >>I don't think teleology and RM&NS are mutually exclusive if we
    >>compartmentalize - do science in the lab and do theology in church. The
    >>problem is that since Copenhagan compartmentalization doesn't seem to
    >>work. it seems like lab science - Newtonian physics - is only a
    >>pragmatic sub-set of rules that works within a human-scaled universe -
    >>not very big or very small.
    >
    >>Is the universe sort of like the "Amber" science fiction books? A
    > >physical world surrounded by a spiritual/magical universe?
    >
    >Bertvan
    >At least you have a mind capable of contemplating possibilities beyond
    >materiaism.

    he has a mind capable of reading science fiction. Even Bertrand
    Russell could do that!

    Susan

    --

    I am aware that the conclusions arrived at in this work will be denounced by some as highly irreligious; but he who denounces them is bound to shew why it is more irreligious to explain the origin of man as a distinct species by descent from some lower form, through the laws of variation and natural selection, than to explain the birth of the individual through the laws of ordinary reproduction.

    ---Charles Darwin

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/