Re: Pascal's wager (was ID *does* require a designer! (but it does not need t...

From: AutismUK@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 11:42:23 EST

    In a message dated 11/12/00 16:03:16 GMT Standard Time, billwald@juno.com
    writes:

    >> Since I don't really think that Jesus even existed,
    >> even as an ordinary religious nutcake of those times,

    > Then your knowledge of history is grossly inferior to your physics. Do
    > you think Alexander and Nero existed? George Washington? >>

    Whilst I don't agree with the "Jesus never existed" the historical
    data is rather pathetic compared with Alexander (daft), Nero (worse)
    , or Washington (no comment necessary).

    I suppose if the only evidence of Washington was four hagiographies
    by cronies and a few by the by references to "Washington fans"
    here and there you may have a point.

    It is also worth remembering that their are legends about
    Alexander (including, I believe, a virgin birth) that no-one takes
    seriously.

    Oddly, Christians frequently do not extend this consideration of
    historical "detail" with reference to their particular chosen
    Messiah. For some reason.

    One can argue the "existence" of Jesus but not much more than
    he existed in an approximate location at an approximate time.