Re: The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything

From: AutismUK@aol.com
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 05:29:38 EST

    In a message dated 05/12/00 15:58:22 GMT Standard Time, Bertvan@aol.com
    writes:

    > I usually don't try to psychoanalyze why other people believe as they do.

    Puts you in a minority of one then :)

    > Their reasons are as valid to them as my reasons for my beliefs. This is
    > merely an attempt to point out to psychoanalyzing materialists the futility
    > of such efforts.

    > Of course, merely pointing out a
    > person's *motivation* does not mean that his claims are false.
    > But, if you show that they *are* false, that his arguments are
    > invalid and or based on false premises, and he *still* insists on
    > his claim of a materialistic universe, then something non-cognitive is
    going
    > on, and it is well that we be aware of this.

    I agree. This unfortunately applies both ways.

    It is interesting that you are absolutely assuming your arguments
    are true. Have you ever considered you might be projecting here ?

    The other statement is "materialists". I don't know how many
    "evolutionists" here are materialists, but I would suspect not
    as many as you think. The words are not synonyms as many
    creationist/ID people think.

    > We see the same pattern repeated many times.

    This is true. I think that at least 99% of the accusations of
    psychological problems are dragged out are when the accuser
    can't think of an answer.

    I would comment that the people who in my experience suffer
    from this "absolutely rock solid belief" problem are
    fundamentalists.

    > Materialists have all had their
    > arguments shredded right in front of their eyes (figuratively
    > speaking), but not a one of them has said, "Oh, yes, I see
    > clearly now. I will go see if I can find something better or give
    > up my claims."

    I haven't read anything of yours that I view as spectacularly
    convincing. I think it says an awful lot about YOU that you
    think your arguments apparently are flawless, and that you
    ought to think about this more.

    > Instead, they become "Stepford Intellectuals,"
    > robots for the cause, re-iterating arguments that have long
    > since rotted in the bright light of observable facts and clear
    > logic, sometimes making bizarre attempts at patching them
    > up (without removing the basic fallacies).

    Yep, I go for projection here. I haven't seen anyone address
    the big hole in the "design filter" ; namely, what happens when
    you apply it to the designer.

    > The basic error is the attempt to make matter primary, and matter (the
    > entirety of
    > whatever exists) a secondary that is either subject to, or
    > knowable by their own mind, *without* the need
    > for independent *cognitive* validation. But, since the pre-
    > conceptual realization that matter is primary is never
    > really killed or fully suppressed, the person is (pre-
    > conceptually) aware that the beliefs he has imposed on reality
    > by means of his mere choice and feelings are not reliable and
    > may be crucially wrong.

    I think this is a long winded way of saying "will not accept my
    claims for the existence of a designer/creator/god because is
    not open to the possibility". But it's difficult to tell. There is, in
    this whole post, a quite stunning lack of self awareness.

    > Thus, he is in a state of anxiety about
    > his relationship to the world, a state that he tries to assuage by
    > ever more diligent faith in his *chosen* (not cognitively
    > validated) beliefs.

    You see, this is a much better description of a theist ; it would
    be more accurate to say that parents imprint a belief rather than
    it is chosen, perhaps.

    > Because he is in a cognitive quandary about all the basics of
    > philosophy (or would be if he considered them at all), and
    > because his mind is largely furnished with more or less blindly-
    > accepted conventional materialistic beliefs, he has no rational idea that
    any
    > purpose in life exists or what it might be.

    But there doesn't have to be one. There might be ; but not simply
    because you like it to be like that.

    > But, his anxiety and
    > confusion drives him to deny any purpose.

    No ; I think the total lack of support for any global world consuming
    purposes is what drives him.

    > Having stocked his
    > own mind with philosophical nonsense, and being
    > psychologically deeply insecure,

    Definitely projection :)

    > he will normally seek something more stable, more reliable,
    > something as pitiful as himself to vest his happiness in.

    I'm sorry Bert, but this has to be the funniest thing I have
    read this week. Are you *sure* you aren't an atheist taking
    the mickey ?

    Psychological insecurity and desire for stability
    reliability, something to vest his happiness in ? What does
    this sound like ?

    > Commonly, it will be his supposed
    > ability to understand the universe, but not always. Some
    > people will make remarks like, "I believe in God but I
    > believe everything that happens has a materialistic cause."

    Anyone done this ? I haven't seen it ?

    > -- by
    > which they mean a purpose determined by Homo sapiens
    > or the laws of physics.

    ???

    > (Quantum physics is best passed over quickly.) Some will
    > take up causes such as professional Darwin defenders.

    Is there such a thing ? There is a lady (is it Eugenie Scott ?) who
    is perhaps could be described as such ?

    One thing for sure ; there are an awful lot of professional
    Darwin attackers.

    > But, in all of these cases, such people are seeking the security they
    cannot
    > find in a universe with unanswerable questions. They cannot live with such
    > insecurity.

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    Gosh, Bert, where do you think these people might go ? I stand corrected.
    The above thing is the SECOND funniest thing I have seen this week.

    > Why is it not logically possible? Because they are *seeking* this
    > concept of materialism to satisfy *their* need to deny a purpose in life.

    Alright, the third.

    > They fear the existence of something they might not understand and thus are
    > driven to declare nothing incomprehensible can exist.

    Maybe the fourth.

    > Why does it *matter* that unanswerable questions might exist ?

    I don't think it does.

    > Clearly, it matters because one already *has* a need to live in a
    > predictable universe.

    So one creates a superbeing (or designer !) to whom one can
    attach all these unpredictabilities.

    > This is a serious philosophical error. It is not correctable by
    > means of a little tweaking here and there. It puts the person in
    > a situation that is impossible to resolve without abandoning the
    > situation entirely and starting over.

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    I must keep this.

    > But few will start over. Instead, they remain not-so-blissfully
    > driven to defend materialism.

    > If they find what they take to be a purpose in life (i.e their own mastery
    > of the universe), any threat to that belief may
    > very well be taken as a threat to their philosophy, or,
    > psychologically and usually subconsciously, a threat to their
    > very lives (because they have invested themselves such faith in their own
    > intellectual superiority , and cannot imagine a life without it).

    *It* being what ?

    > Since the person has already given up reason in a *quite*
    > fundamental way in the process of accepting the notion that
    > faith in their own intellectual processes is a magical way of knowing
    things
    > or a magical way of making the world match one's beliefs, it is a
    relatively
    > small step to give it up with respect to any scientific issue that seems
    > to involve their imagined lack of purpose in life.

    (Sorry, I'm now rolling around on the floor).

    > If "ID" (or
    > anything else) seems to threaten them (i.e., their " superior intellectuall
    > processes"),
    > they will automatically (or very nearly so) adopt virtually *any*
    > rationalization that seems to support their view of their view that purpose
    > in life cannot exist.

    (Coronary)

    > Thus, one may come across Darwinists proselytizers who openly
    > admit that all they have going for their belief materialsim is faith, but,
    > since they have faith in materialism (and, of course, faith in the
    > materialism is faith), it doesn't bother them that people of other
    > religions *also* have faith, but in a quite different God than materialism.
    > Why?

    (Another one)

    > Because, like those others, they have faith that *their* faith is
    > sound, while the faith of the others is wrong (and, of course,
    > that's exactly how the *others* feel about *their* faith as well).

    Oh, are we developing some self awareness here ?

    > The *absolute* absurdity of such a position seems almost
    > *never* to sink in, because they have faith that it's *not* absurd
    > when *they* do it (which, of course, is the *same* faith those
    > *others* have in *their* faith).

    Seems not.

    > With reason *this* far gone, it is no wonder that materialists,
    > and the like are willing to forego it with respect to something as
    > relatively unimportant as science, if doing so will appear to
    > protect or promote their "purpose," their precious world-view
    > that gives their lives (in their view) some sort of "feeling of ability to
    > control the universe."

    Well, I can only hope this is a parody. If so , 10 out of 10.