Re: Chance and Selection

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 15:54:13 EST

    >>Hi Chris,
    >>Descent with modification existed as a concept before Darwin. Darwin's
    >>only contribution was the mechanism - tiny random mutations, which
    >>natural selection created into complex biological systems by picking and
    >>choosing. Darwin himself stated that if any biological system proved to
    >>be too complex to be created in this way, his system would prove to be invalid.

    Susan
    >Darwin knew nothing about mutations. Genes were rediscovered about 40
    >years after he died (I think that's the 2nd or 3rd time I've told you
    >that.) He only knew about variation which is obvious to the casual
    >observer. The Darwin quote that you mention above is always quoted by
    >creationists without the last sentence "And none have yet been found."
    >That was 140 years ago and *still* none have yet been found. Behe's
    >examples of "systems too complex to have been have been created this way"
    >have proven to be untrue one by one.

    Chris
    And, I might add, at the expense of making any *legitimate* ID science look
    bad by association (similar remarks apply to Dembski's obvious corruption
    of the concept of design itself in order to *seem* to prove to the
    too-casual reader something that he does not even provide good support
    for). I don't know if there *is* any legitimate ID science going on, but,
    if there is, these attempts at "proving" it will make it *harder* to get
    serious scientists to consider it, having been burned so many times before.

    >>Some scientists, such as Behe, now claim that many, if not all,
    >>biological systems are too complex to have been "created" by natural selection.

    Susan
    >One of Behe's examples was shown to have an evolutionary history the same
    >year his book was published. Behe is betting on our continued ignorance.
    >It's a bad bet.

    Chris
    Also, weren't you the one who was talking about how good it is to be
    skeptical of the claims of scientists?

    Another counterexample to one of his main claims was published in the early
    eighties. As Kenneth Miller points out, it is one thing for a person not to
    have read every paper in every journal that comes out. But it is quite
    another to make major absolute positive claims on the basis of *not* having
    read of a counterexample when one knows one has not read substantial
    portions of the literature. Making such dogmatic claims without basis, on
    the premise that the reader will accept one's mere *credentials* as
    argument enough, is intellectually dishonest. He should either have
    refrained from making the claim or have checked his facts first.

    Here's the offending claim:

    >>>There is no publication in the scientific literature--in prestigious
    >>>journals, specialty journals, or books--that describes how molecular
    >>>evolution of any real, complex biochemical system either did occur or
    >>>even might have occurred. [DBB, p.185]

    Chris
    Yet, when an evolutionist makes a claim like this, even if it is
    demonstrably true, you accuse him/her of dogmatism. How wonderfully biased
    and selective you are.

    Bertvan
    >>If, as you claim, "most scientists" no longer regard Darwin's theory the
    >>explanation of evolution, all they have to do is say so. Much of the
    >>controversy would disappear, for it is not "evolution" that most critics
    >>question, but specifically "the creation of complex biological systems by
    >>RM&NS".

    Susan
    >And I've shown you over and over that "most critics" of evolution object
    >to common descent and the long history of life, both of which they think
    >conflicts with the Bible (they don't). "Random" mutations and natural
    >selection are your personal bugbears. Most creationists now accept at
    >least "micro" evolution, which is the only kind that actually exists. They
    >think that "macro" evolution is something special and magical that can't
    >exist because it would mean that Earth has a long history and that all
    >plants and animals have a shared ancestry.

    Chris
    I think most scientists *do* regard Darwin's theory, in broad outline, as
    the explanation for evolution. Some, like Margulis, reject the old view
    that separate evolutionary branches never trade genetic material, but do
    not regard the basic process as being Darwinian (i.e., naturalistic, not
    directed by intelligence, and a process of modification and selection).
    Others would point out that many aspects of it have been deepened or filled
    in since Darwin's day, especially with the unlocking of the general way in
    which genetics works when DNA was discovered and analyzed. *Very* little of
    Darwin's original theory has needed to be discarded. Even punk eek is
    little more than a restatement of Darwin's remark:

    >>>But I must here remark that I do not suppose that the process ever goes
    >>>on so regularly as is represented in the diagram [showing evenly-spaced
    >>>lines representing speciation], though in itself made somewhat
    >>>irregular [different sub-branch points, etc.], nor that it goes on
    >>>continuously; it is far more probably that each form remains for long
    >>>periods unaltered, and then again undergoes modification.

    Bertvan
    >>Some people use the term "imperfect copying" (of DNA I assume) instead of
    >>random mutation. This language certainly implies "accidental" and
    >>"lacking intelligence or purpose".

    Susan