Time window for OOL (part 4)

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 13:58:18 EST

    DNAunion: Continuing from my personal notes:

    A different potential time constraint - which assumes that life originated by
    chemical evolution in the oceans - is the rate of recirculation of the oceans
    through hydrothermal systems, which "zaps" complex organic molecules. This
    estimate, worked out by Stanley Miller and Antonio Lazcano, is about 10
    million years.

    "Interviewer: What about submarine vents as a source of prebiotic compounds?

    Stanley Miller: I have a very simple response to that. Submarine vents don't
    make organic
    compounds, they decompose them. Indeed, these vents are one of the limiting
    factors on what
    organic compounds you are going to have in the primitive oceans. At the
    present time, the entire
    ocean goes through those vents in 10 million years. So all of the organic
    compounds get zapped
    every ten million years. That places a constraint on how much organic
    material you can get.
    Furthermore, it gives you a time scale for the origin of life. If all the
    polymers and other goodies
    that you make get destroyed, it means life has to start early and rapidly."
    (StanleyMiller as quoted
    by Sean Henahan,Access Excellence, From Primordial Soup to the Prebiotic
    Beach: An Interview
    with Exobiology Pioneer Dr. Stanley L. Miller, October, 1996)

    "Antonio Lazcano of the University of Mexico and Stanley Miller felt that the
    origin of life could
    not have been stretched out over such relatively long spans of time. They
    point out that the
    primordial soup would have been destroyed by circulation of the ocean through
    hydrothermal
    vents in a mere 10 million years. The origin of life must have taken less
    time than that,
    particularly if it had to happen while the primordial soup was still rich and
    nourishing."
    (Christopher Wills & Jeffrey Bada, The Spark of Life: Darwin and the Primeval
    Soup, Perseus
    Publishing, 2000, p258)

    Others suggest that even a small window of 10 million years is far too long
    to allot for prebiotic chemical evolution.

    "It also seems unlikely that chemical evolution took hundreds of millions of
    years, for most of the
    key organic chemicals could not have persisted for so long. Our own hunch is
    that even 10
    million years is probably a substantial overestimate. Perhaps life appeared
    over a span of a mere
    few thousand years." (Christopher Wills & Jeffrey Bada, The Spark of Life:
    Darwin and the Primeval Soup, Perseus Publishing, 2000, p258)

    So we can see that the available time window for the origin of life went from
    about 3.7 billion years in the 1950s, down to 400 million by the mid 1990s
    (based on changes in beginning and ending boundaries - when the oceans formed
    and the oldest signs of life, respectively). Additional insights have
    further reduced this window: based on the calculated periodicity of impacts,
    some researchers decreased the window to a mere 20 million years, while the
    propensity of hydrothermal vents to "zap" complex organic molecules has
    forced other origin of life researchers to narrow it to just 10 million
    years. Taking an overall view, we see that the original 3.70 billion years
    shrunk by 3.69 billion years down to just 10 million! And even this 99.73%
    reduction does not reflect the lower limit, as still other researchers
    believe life probably arose in as little as a few thousand years!

    It is interesting to contemplate why the window has been narrowed so
    drastically. The first question is, does this time window represent an
    estimate of how long it would take for life to arise, or is it an estimate of
    the amount of time that was available for life to arise? It is clearly the
    latter: there is no real estimate on how long it would take life to arise
    from non-life. Another way to examine the time window is to ask, has it been
    continually decreasing because researchers have had such continual success in
    the laboratory that they now know that life could arise in a mere few
    thousand or few million years? Again, the answer is no. The ever-narrowing
    window of time available for life to arise is forced upon researchers by
    findings that indicate life’s origin could not have been allotted more
    time. It’s not a case of "we know it could occur in 10 million years",
    but rather "we know it had only 10 million years to occur".

    But is this tiny window enough? Since there are no real estimates of how
    long it would take life to arise (as opposed to the independently-determined
    windows that impose time constraints on it), only indirect logic can be
    applied.

    "To go from a bacterium to people is less of a step than to go from a mixture
    of amino acids to a
    bacterium." (Lynn Margulis, interviewed in The End of Science, by John
    Horgan. Addison-Wesley
    Publishing Company, Inc., 1996. p 140-141).

    If we accept Lynn Margulis's statement, and we know that it took over 3.5
    billion years "To go from a bacterium to people", then logic would dictate
    that the larger step of going "from a mixture of amino acids to a bacterium"
    would have required more time – yes, more than 3.5 billion years, not a
    mere 10 million or few thousand.

    Another line of reasoning that suggests life might require more than 10
    million years to arise is based on the rate of evolution just after the
    appearance of life on Earth. The oldest fossilized cellular structures are
    those of cyanobacteria-like organisms and eubacteria found in the
    3.5-billion-year-old Apex chert of Western Australia, which were examined and
    catalogued by Schopf. As mentioned previously, these bacteria "were arrayed
    in long filaments, mats, and other complex structures" and "must already have
    had a long evolutionary history". Yet they "looked very much like the common
    photosynthetic bacteria that live in the oceans today". Apparently, in a
    very short period of time, life not only arose but also evolved to very
    complex levels. Yet immediately thereafter, and going forward for the next
    3.5 billion years, changed little. In fact, life in general remained
    single-celled until about 1 billion years ago. So again, for about 2.5
    billion years after the origin of life, life apparently evolve
    d very slowly.