Re: Phil Johnson on the Second Law of Thermodynamics

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 05:09:33 EST

    From: David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu
    <David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu>

    >Regarding Richard's comments:
    >
    >RW>Finally, as I'm trying to describe the situation in DNAUnion's rather
    >>confusing terms, let me try to use his term "energy conversion mechanism".
    >>Since the SLOT deals only with energy and entropy, I assume that, by
    "energy
    >>conversion mechanism", DNAUnion means something which "converts" energy
    into
    >>reduced entropy.
    >
    >I certainly hope not. But he can speak for himself.
    >
    >RW>Well, the something that does this is the energy-driven
    >>processes that I mentioned earlier, such as chemical reactions. If you
    want
    >>to go to a lower level of explanation, then it's the primary physical
    >>(nuclear) forces which cause chemical reactions.
    >
    >It is true that physical forces are responsible for chemical reactions,
    >but those physical forces are *not* nuclear. Nuclear forces are
    >responsible for nuclear reactions. Electromagnetic forces are the
    >cuplrits responsible for chemical reactions, and it is essentially the
    >details of how they are exerted on the electrons of atoms, molecules
    >& ions that are relevant. Another very important relevant feature is
    >the fact that these electrons are fermions and so obey the Pauli
    >exclusion principle.

    Thanks for correcting me. It's nice to know that arguing against the bogus
    SLOT arguments hasn't been a complete waste of time. I've learnt a few
    things in the process!

    >RW> DNAUnion probably wants to
    >>know *which* chemical reactions are (or might be) involved in abiogenesis.
    >>Well, so do I! But that's outside the scope of the SLOT. It's sufficient,
    as
    >>far as the SLOT is concerned, to know that there *are* processes which
    >>"convert" energy into reduced entropy.
    >
    >Actually, the concept of converting energy into reduced entropy is quite
    >flawed. It is kind of like the concept of converting hydrogen atoms into
    >time intervals (i.e. nonsensical). But I think I know what you are
    >trying to get at. Perhaps you mean processes that transform energy from
    >one form into another form of *energy* that have the collateral effect
    >of reducing the entropy of some relevant subsystem(s).

    Yes, that's what I meant. I was just trying to drag in the word "convert"
    because DNAUnion and Stephen insist that we do so!

    >If so, then your
    >characterisation is correct. But I hope we *all* agree that this is
    >*insufficient* to constitute a compelling account of abiogenesis.

    Yes.

    >All it
    >shows is that a particular thermodynamic no-go condition is met which
    >merely allows us to further consider the subject without rejecting the
    >whole notion of abiogenesis out-of-hand on thermodynamic grounds
    >(contrary to many misdirected creationist attempts to make a slam dunk on
    >this point).
    >
    >>(I suspect the word "convert" is misleading, because no energy is lost in
    >>the process.
    >
    >If it is supposed to be read as literally as above, then it is not only
    >very misleading, it is very wrong.
    >
    >RW>But perhaps "free energy" is converted into non-free energy.
    >>Could David please confirm or correct this?)
    >
    >Although I'm not sure just what is really supposed to be meant by the
    >phrase "energy conversion mechanism", it is true that the normal
    >operation of the 2nd law in a context where there is a system that is in
    >thermal contact with its surroundings (so heat flow across the boundary
    >between the system and the surroundings is allowed), and those
    >surroundings are held at a fixed temperature via external means, and the
    >system is not subject to any disequilibrating forces from the outside,
    >*then* the system's (relevant kind of) excess free energy *is* converted
    >into "non-free" energy. Except we do not call this energy that it is
    >converted into "non-free" energy. The usual terminology for it is
    >*dissipated* energy or *unavailable* energy.

    Thanks. That's what I was getting at, in my clumsy way. ;-)

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    "Do the calculation. Take the numbers seriously. See if the underlying
    probabilities really are small enough to yield design."
      -- W. A. Dembski, who has never presented any calculation to back up his
    claim to have detected Intelligent Design in life.