Re: Phil Johnson on the Second Law of Thermodynamics

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 21:28:35 EST

    >>>Paul Robson: I have read of many creationists, though who make the
    argument along the lines of "Well, if being an open system isn't a problem
    for evolution, why don't cars evolve from junk in a junkyard open to energy"
    ; something sounding remarkably in the ball park "vague appeals to OST"

    If you cannot produce one person who "solely relies" on OST to do this I will
    treat your claims of "frequency" as
    an absurdity.

    *******************************
    DNAunion: Note what Paul’s statements are *actually* asking me to do:
    to “produce one person who “solely relies” on OST to
    [evolve cars from junk in junkyards open to energy]”. That is unless
    we are allowed to too assume that Paul does not know how to use antecedents
    for words such as “this”. So either we must be allowed to
    classify Paul’s writing skills as sub par, or else we are forced to
    conclude that he himself allows the subject of the appeal to open-system
    thermodynamics to be something other than cells (vastly different, in fact).
     *******************************

    >>>DNAunion: Do as you feel fit. However, I already pointed out how you
    yourself put forth a form of this argument when you said that appealing to
    open-system thermodynamics "knocked out" the Creationists' claims. You did
    not mention anything other than OST.

    >>>Paul Robson: Thanks DNA. I now know it is your limited reading
    comprehension. I claim it knocks out creationists claim about 2LT being
    "violated by evolution". Your claim is

    "those who rely SOLELY on vague appeals to open-system thermodynamics to
    explain the ordering and organizing of simple organics into a functioning
    cell" (my emphasis) "

    You have to have pretty low levels of literacy to think I "rely solely on OST
    to organise functioning cells" from this statement. I don't even mention
    cells at all.

    *********************
    DNAunion: So where did I say that you had to mention cells?

    I did NOT say “… you yourself put forth EXACTLY this
    argument…”, I said “… you yourself put forth *A FORM
    OF* this argument…”. The basic nature and structure of the
    argument is the same in my original and in your form of it:
    “Creationists/IDists argue that [a biological process that involves
    large increases in order] cannot occur by purely-natural processes because
    that would require the violation of the 2nd law, but open-system
    thermodynamics alone shows them to be wrong”. This is the basic
    pattern, or template, of the argument: one just needs to fill in the single
    variable: and “regular” biological evolution and the evolution of
    the first biological cells are closely related (we ain’t talkin’
    bout no cars hear). Both my original, and yours that I mentioned was
    similar, are arguments of the same logical *FORM*. They are not identical,
    and I made it clear (to someone who can read!) that I was not stating they
    were.

    Finally, why do you feel it is perfectly valid for you to take the discussion
    off into things as unrelated as cars in junkyards, BASED ON THE SAME FORM OF
    ARGUMENT, but that what I did is invalid (even though I managed to keep the
    discussion much closer to the actual subject: evolutionary biological
    processes)?
    *********************

    >>>Paul Robson: I know you think I am being abusive when I question your
    literacy but this makes me think you either can't/won't understand, or don't
    bother to read what I write. You write "this is a form of this argument" ; it
    quite clearly isn't.

    *********************
    DNAunion: I suggest you wipe the cobwebs and dust off your decaying
    dictionary, look up the term “form”, and see if you can find one
    definition that fits my usage. You will find that like Prego,
    “It’s in there”.
    ********************

    >>>Paul Robson: For it to be "a form of this argument" it has to say
    something like "I think OST explains
    the existence of functioning cells from organics on its own".

    ********************
    DNAunion: No, that would be THE SAME argument, just reworded. A FORM of an
    argument is not so narrowly restricted. The following are both arguments of
    the same logical form.

    “Creationists/IDists argue that [the origin of the first cells] cannot
    occur by purely-natural processes because that would require the violation of
    the 2nd law, but open-system thermodynamics alone shows them to be
    wrong.”

    “Creationists argue that [evolution] cannot occur by purely-natural
    processes because that would require the violation of the 2nd law, but
    open-system thermodynamics alone shows them to be wrong.”

    The logical form of the arguments are the same: “Creationists/IDists
    argue that [a biological process that involves large increases in order]
    cannot occur by purely-natural processes because that would require the
    violation of the 2nd law, but open-system thermodynamics alone shows them to
    be wrong”.

    (By the way, the order of wording is not important. Even if the second form
    were reworded to, “Open-system thermodynamics alone shows that
    Creationists are wrong when they claim that evolution cannot occur because
    that would require the 2nd law to be violated.”, the logical form of
    the argument would not differ).
    ********************

    >>>Paul Robson: It ought to be obvious to almost anyone that I was writing
    about rebutting the claims made in almost every Creationist book about OST.

    ********************
    DNAunion: And it ought to be obvious to almost anyone that I did not say
    that the two arguments were *exactly* the same, or even simply *the same*.
    ********************

    >>>DNAUnion: Second, here is something Chris Cogan recently wrote, and my
    reply:

    "Ccogan: Since reproduction can occur either as a mere catalytic process, a
    template-using process, or as a process of creation and assembly of
    components (as in virus replication), there are plenty of ways in which the
    Sun's energy, and the energy from the core of the Earth itself, etc., can
    promote reproduction once this energy has brought about enough natural
    "mixing" of existing components to produce the first simple and suitable
    replicator. "

    >>>Paul Robson: You claim

    "those who rely SOLELY on vague appeals to open-system thermodynamics to
    explain the ordering and organizing of simple organics into a functioning
    cell" (my emphasis) "

    This appears to be a statement about the creation of the first simple and
    suitable replicator. [As you only gave a small amount the last few words
    appear to be the only indication of context].

    *****************
    DNAunion: Blind to his own practices, but critical of those of others. Paul
    implies I might have done something wrong in my quoting, while of course he
    surely doesn’t (after all, people in glass houses wouldn’t throw
    stones, would they?). But let’s take look at an actual word count of
    the 2 above quotes.

    DNAunion’s quote of Chris: 71 words.
    Paul’s quote of DNAunion: 23 words.

    But wait, there’s more (a lot more). Paul interrupted what I actually
    quoted. My quote from the exchange between Chris and me was actually much
    longer (Paul chopped it up in order to interject his words of wisdom). I had
    quoted my full reply to Chris’s statement, so we need to add another
    157 words to the total length of the original quote, bringing the final
    score to:

    DNAunion: 143
    Paul: 23

    Wow! I wouldn’t expect to see such a lopsided score unless the Harlem
    Globetrotters took on a kindergarten class! (I love sarcasm – could
    you tell????)

    In addition, when Paul quoted me, he didn’t even include a single full
    sentence. Furthermore, the phrasing he did quote is incomplete: what about
    those people identified?

    And yet Paul feels “mightier than thou” enough to
    “implicate” me for my above “questionable” quoting?
    Go figure.
    ****************

    >>>Paul Robson: It says "the energy has brought enough mixing to produce the
    first simple replicator" (paraphrase).

    It doesn't appear to be a claim about "functioning cells".

    To fit your description, he (she ?) has to claim that this "natural mixing"
    SOLELY produces a FUNCTIONING CELL.

    **********************
    DNAunion: No. To fit the logic of my argument/statement exactly, he would
    have needed to say that. But for his statements to be basically a form of
    my argument/statement, no such stringent criteria apply. The logical form of
    the argument is maintained: “Creationists/IDists argue that [a
    biological process that involves large increases in order] cannot occur by
    purely-natural processes because that would require the violation of the 2nd
    law, but open-system thermodynamics alone shows them to be wrong.”

    The biological processes - (1) the origin of the first-replicators and (2)
    the origin of the first cells – are both closely related, keeping the
    logic of the argument fairly close (remember, the logic of the rest of the
    argument remains the same between both forms). In fact, since both of these
    topics involve events that occurred between about 4 and 3.8 billion of years
    ago, they are related in many ways. For example, the approximate time of
    occurrence is nearly identical (on a geological scale), neither has left any
    physical evidence of how they occurred (if they indeed did occur here on
    Earth), neither has a convincing natural explanation, both can be considered
    the origin of life (depending on one’s definition of life), both are
    origins of major biological entities (whether replicators are considered
    living or not), both involve a large increase in order and complexity, etc.
    **********************

    >>>Paul Robson: You can't read, can you DNAUnion ?

    ***********************
    DNAunion: If I can’t read, then why are you writing back to me?
    ***********************

    >>>Paul Robson: You don't know what the word "solely" means, do you ?

    ***********************
    DNAunion: Sure I do. By the way, if your point is that I don’t know
    what “solely” means, then why didn’t you give examples of
    my misuse in your post???? One could find many ways to nit-pick the usage of
    that term (and you appear to be a master at that art).
    ***********************

    >>>Paul Robson: You don't know what a "functioning cell" is do you ?

    ***********************
    DNAunion: Shore eye does, it is won of them thar squishy little bag thingies
    with little thing-a-ma-bobs floating around in the sap that do this stuff and
    that stuff and sum other stuff, and this hole thingy – wells, at lease
    accordin’ to them thar evolutionists- digi-volved (well, thats what my
    youngins calls it) from sum unknownst whatchamacallits that could make other
    whatchamacallits. But w’all no that nature used somethin’ called
    “open-sesame thermo-mometers”, or somethin, in some mysterious
    weigh - mixing goop with glop and stuff - and woundeded up taklin’
    that there tendon, see, the second most importanest law imposes on stuff and
    what-not to get littler and littler ordered – wha’, wear waz eye?
    – oh yea’, it dun takled it two tha ground like a cowboy roping
    doggies at one of them thar rodeo shows. Gee willickers, eye shore wished
    eye was learned enuf in skool to be won of them thar rodeo peoples. (I told
    you all I love sarcasm!
    )
    ***********************

    >>>Paul Robson: You just see what you want to see, read what you *think* is
    there and then reply to it.

    *********************
    DNAunion: Good thing YOU don’t do that, huh.
    *********************

    >>>DNAunion: First, you listed three "independent" methods of reproduction,
    as if any one of the three can stand by itself. But these are not
    independent. "[A]ssembly of components (as in virus replication)" does not
    occur without there first being "a template-processing process", which does
    not occur without a "catalytic process". Note also that you later state,
    "even the simplest catalytic process is "code-driven,"", which seems to
    further entangle these "independent" processes of reproduction.

    >>>Paul Robson: I fail to see what this response has to do with your claim ;
    which I now believe you cannot substantiate.

    *******************
    DNAunion: You are a hard person to please (because you are being
    unreasonable). You implied above that I didn’t provide enough of the
    quote, yet here, dealing with the same exact continuous quote, you say I
    provided too much???

    This part of the quote wasn’t intended to relate to my claim: it was
    included so that people like you could see the full quote and know that I
    hadn’t selectively quoted. I don’t always provide additional
    material such as this, but I don’t see how my doing so here detracts
    from my character in any way.

    Paul, why not give your typing fingers and brain a rest – you
    don’t have to try to come up with some implication of wrong doing on
    my part for every one of my statements.
    *******************

    >>>DNA Union: Second, you have glazed over some of the most important steps
    on the way to life: how the first self-replicators arose. You have basically
    done what Paul Robson claims no evolutionist does! You have presented a
    *vague appeal* to open-system thermodynamics ("there are plenty of ways in
    which the Sun's energy, and the energy from the core of the Earth itself,
    etc., can promote reproduction once this energy has brought about enough
    natural "mixing" of existing components to produce the first simple and
    suitable replicator.")

    >>>Paul Robson: You see, its difficult to tell if this is dishonesty,
    ignorance, wish fulfilment or just plain idiocy.

    ******************
    DNAunion: I’m sorry, I can’t read. What did you say? Whatever
    it was, I am sure it was very polite and soothing.
    ******************

    >>>Paul Robson: I agree wholeheartedly that this first part could classify
    as a "vague appeal to OST". Unfortunately it fails on the "solely responsible
    for producing a functioning cell" part.

    *****************
    DNAunion: Well I disagree with your agreement. The first part that should
    classify should be extended to become “vague appeal to OST
    solely”. Doing so leaves only the fact that Chris’s addresses
    self-replicators while mine addresses cells. This discrepancy does show that
    the two are not IDENTICAL, but I didn’t say that they were.

    Look back at my actual words (above) and you will see that I did NOT say,
    “You have *DONE EXACTLY* what Paul Robson claims no evolutionist
    does!”. What I said was, “You have *BASICALLY* done what Paul
    Robson claims no evolutionist does!”. See the difference? *WHO* is it
    that can’t read?
     *****************

    >>>Paul Robson: It seems to be that Chris is claiming that energy from the
    sun would be sufficient to produce a simple replicator.

    *****************
    DNAunion: It appears as though you are agreeing with me that Chris relied
    solely on open-system thermodynamics in his post. Again, the only
    “objection” you seem to be trying to raise is that Chris’s
    dealt with self-replicators while mine dealt with cells. The rest of the
    argument is identical, and the rather slight change involved (going from one
    large increase in order associated with a biological entity billion of years
    ago to a large increase in order associated with another biological entity
    billions of years ago) hardly seems to qualify my statement that they are
    *BASICALLY* (not exactly) the same as inaccurate.
    *****************

    >>>Paul Robson: For this to fit your allegedly "frequently" stated argument
    there has to be rather more than a simple replicator.

    *****************
    DNAunion: Only if I had called the two identical or exactly the same.

    I purposefully qualified my statements with the words “form of”
    and “basically” because I knew they were not identical. Had I
    thought they were actually the same, I would have explicitly stated
    “the exact same”. It is odd how several people nit-pick my
    statements to death, yet blatantly overlook such obvious, intentionally-added
    phrases I use to qualify my statements (ironically, to PREVENT wasting so
    much time defending my statements).

    My point in bringing up those instances was to show that at this very site,
    in the span of just a couple of days, two separate individuals (who both knew
    better) relied on open-system thermodynamics alone to counter a claim made by
    Creationists/IDists about a biological process that goes against
    matter’s general tendency towards increasing disorder. The implication
    is, if something that close to being the “real thing” occurs that
    frequently here, then it is not that illogical to conclude that the
    “real thing” does occur frequently when the entire internet and
    years of debates are taken into consideration.