Cold fusion is a fact

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 14:36:45 EST

    DNAunion: Susan felt the need to back up her statements on cold fusion, so I
    felt I should to. But since I no longer have Susan's e-mail, I had to create
    one from scratch.

    Note that in the following quote, the fusing of two medium-weight nuclei at a
    relatively low energy is referred to as *cold fusion*. Note further that
    this is done *without* being qualifying by enclosing the words in double
    quotes: i.e., it is cold fusion and not "cold fusion".

    "Step aside, element 114; there's a new heavyweight champ. Physicists at the
    Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California announced earlier this
    week that they have created two new superheavy elements, tipping the scales
    at 118 and 116 protons. The new heavyweights come as something of a surprise,
    as standard theories had suggested that the [cold fusion] technique used to
    create them--fusing two medium-weight nuclei at a relatively low
    energy--should top out at 112.

    Although the [element] 114 work has yet to be duplicated, the success marked
    an unexpected renaissance for a previously successful technique known as hot
    fusion, in which a beam of light isotopes is smashed into a heavier target,
    such as plutonium. Prior to that success, the technique of choice had been
    cold fusion, a gentler collision of medium-sized isotopes. Researchers at the
    Institute for Heavy Ion Research (GSI) in Darmstadt, Germany, used the
    technique to lay claim to five elements from 107 to 112 since the early
    1980s. Conventional theories suggested that neither technique [neither hot
    fusion nor cold fusion] would be able to form elements as big as 118 without
    them instantly breaking apart, or fissioning.

    The Berkeley team's big break came at the prodding of Robert Smola«nczuk, a
    visiting theorist from the Soltan Institute for Nuclear Studies in Poland,
    who suggested that there may still be a little warmth left in cold fusion.
    His calculations suggested that bombarding a lead target with krypton ions
    would have reasonable odds of producing a few atoms of 118 after all: The
    compound nucleus, he found, was less likely to fission than previously
    thought. " (Robert F. Service, Berkeley Crew Bags Element 118, Science,
    Volume 284, Number 5421, Issue of 11 Jun 1999, p. 1751)