Re: Phil Johnson on the Second Law of Thermodynamics

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 22:19:52 EST

    >>>Richard Wein: … (BTW I'd filtered out DNAUnion, but I got this via
    Nelson's post. I have now
    filtered out Nelson, Stephen Jones and Silk too, which should considerably
    reduce the amount of nonsense coming into my mail box.)

    *********************
    DNAunion: I really like what Nelson Alonso said in reply to this!
    *********************

    >>>Richard Wein: Stephen's basic error is to confuse the Second Law of
    Thermodynamics with the Creationist Law of Thermodynamics.

    Thermodynamics with his prejudiced, preconceived notions of a Creationist Law
    of Thermodynamics.

    >>>Nelson:What is the creationist law of thermodynamics?

    >>>DNAunion: There is none. Richard was being "humorous". The implication
    is that "our" version of thermodynamics is that "order never comes from
    disorder" (as Paul posted), or that "evolution violates thermodynamics".
    However, anyone who has followed the discussions here will see that NEITHER
    SEJones nor I propose either of these.

    >>>Richard Wein: If you'd read my post more carefully, you'd have seen that
    the creationist versions of the Second Law to which I referred were the ones
    referring to stuff like "code-driven energy-conversion systems".

    ***********************
    DNAunion: I continually refer to *"stuff like"* code-driven
    energy-conversion systems in my discussions on relating thermodynamics to the
    origin of life (in the form of "coupling mechanisms").
    ***********************

    >>>Richard Wein: Stephen wrote:

    "Yes. See the above quotes. The problem with the SLoT is thatevolutionists
    generally: 1) do not bother to listen to what creationists are *really*
    saying; 2) do not address the *real* issue which is the *origin* of the
    code-driven energy-conversion systems; 3) respond with irrelevant
    red-herrings about open and closed systems, etc; and 4) cloak their answers
    in a lot of technical jargon which further obscures the matter rather than
    clarifying it."

    So, according to Stephen, "the *real* issue" with the SLoT "is the *origin*
    of the code-driven energy-conversion systems". But the *real* SLoT says
    nothing about such systems.

    *********************
    DNAunion: Again, you are missing his and my main point. SEJones and I are
    discussing the SLoT *as it applies to life*. The field that unites the
    branch of physics called thermodynamics, with the cell biology branch of
    biology, is called bioenergetics.

    "The principles that govern energy flow are incorporated in an area of
    science that the physical chemist calls thermodynamics. Although the prefix
    thermo- suggests that the term is limited to heat (and that is indeed its
    historical origin), thermodynamics also takes into account other forms of
    energy and processes that convert energy from one form to another.
    Specifically, thermodynamics concerns the laws governing the energy
    transactions that inevitably accompany most physical processes and all
    chemical reactions. Bioenergetics, in turn, can be thought of as applied
    thermodynamics - that is, it concerns the application of thermodynamic
    principles to reactions and processes in the biological world." (The World
    of the Cell: Third Edition, Wayne M. Becker, Jane B. Reece, & Martin F.
    Poenie, Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Co., 1996, p119)

    It would be nice if our opponents would do as SEJones suggests and pay
    attention to our actual discussion: the application of thermodynamics to
    life, and more specifically, to the origin of life. We are not talking about
    a cup of hot tea cooling off.
    ***********************

    >>>Richard Wein: For a very clear example of a major creationist making up
    his own law of
    thermodynamics, read this...

    <begin quote from ChristianAnswers.net
    http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-thermodynamics.html>

    Dr. Henry Morris has proposed A COMPREHENSIVE DEFINITION OF THE 2ND LAW OF
    THERMODYNAMICS in accordance with this concept:

    "In any ordered system, open or closed, there exists a tendency for that
    system to decay to a state of disorder, which tendency can only be suspended
    or reversed by an external source of ordering energy directed by an
    informational program and transformed through an ingestion-storage-converter
    mechanism into the specific work required to build up the complex structure
    of that system.

    If either the information program or the converter mechanism is not available
    to that 'open' system, it will not increase in order, no matter how much
    external energy surrounds it. The system will decay in accordance with the
    Second Law of Thermodynamics."

    [Henry M. Morris, "Entropy and Open Systems," Acts and Facts, Vol. 5 (P.O.Box
    2667, El Cajon, California 92021: Institute for Creation Research,October
    1976).]
    <end quote>

    ************************
    DNAunion: The first part sounds okay to me: "In any ordered system, open or
    closed, there exists a tendency for that system to decay to a state of
    disorder, which tendency can only be suspended or reversed by an external
    source of ordering energy…" Note he too is talking of *tendencies*, not
    *absolute musts* (men *tend* to be stronger than women, but as a teen, I lost
    arm wrestling bouts to a woman: and at my advanced age (well, 38) I would
    surely lose to many young women now).

    I do see one inconsistency, but it is a fine point that does not detract from
    the validity of the portion I quoted from him. He states that the one needs
    an EXTERNAL source of energy, but earlier, he mentioned systems that were
    "open OR CLOSED". We could get into discussions of isolated vs. closed, but
    it is *generally acceptable* to state that neither mass nor energy can flow
    into or out of a closed system.

    Nevertheless, Morris definitely goes over the line when he continues by
    saying that the tendency can only be suspended or reversed by an external
    source of energy "directed by an informational program and transformed
    through an ingestion-storage-converter mechanism into the specific work
    required to build up the complex structure of that system." This *MAY* (and
    I believe it probably does) apply to systems that are extremely organized,
    complex, complicated, and composed of numerous interdependent
    components/processes, where the various processes must be maintained far from
    thermodynamic eqilibrium (i.e., a functioning cell), but surely not to *all*
    systems. The simple example I give a lot is the increase in order associated
    with draining a reservoir of water through a narrow pipe: an orderly vortex
    arises and there are no "ingestion-storage-converter mechanism[s]" to be
    found in my tub.
    ************************

    >>>Richard Wein: I don't know whether *you* (DNAUnion) are making the same
    error as creationists, but, as I referred only to creationists, I wasn't
    including you, was I? ;-)

    ***********************
    DNAunion: Well, that was why I enclosed the word "our" in double quotes: to
    indicate that it should not be taken literally. I am not using the
    Creationist arguments, if, as people here have stated, their arguments
    include things like "order can never arise from disorder" or "evolution
    violates the second law". But my quick reading of Phillip Johnson's reply to
    a scientist that was posted here seemed pretty sound to me (and I do consider
    Johnson to be a Creationist/ID hybrid - not a pure IDist).

    I have been presenting an argument concerning the origin of life and the need
    for some kind of currently-unspecified coupling mechanism (especially if the
    solution offered for the uphill reactions associated with biology is a vague
    appeal to open-system thermodynamics involving photons, "the sun supplied the
    energy to the prebiotic Earth needed to increase the order"). To repeat
    something I am likely to be repeating frequently from now on, "I am not
    talking about a hot cup of tea cooling off": there is more involved in
    bioenergetics than there is in thermodynamics alone!

    The last post of SEJones' on this that I read meshed with my argument very
    well (depending on your frame of reference, it could be that my argument
    meshed well with his). Therefore, I have been considering ours for all
    practical purposes, equivalent. Maybe he holds to some of the Creationist
    views that others have posted here and I just haven't read them. However, I
    have found no problems (at least none that that jumped out at me) in SEJones'
    material I have read. Again, I am considering our position on this to be,
    for all practical purposes, identical.

    Now, the way I see it, unless one goes out of the way a bit to avoid the
    following conclusion, you are calling SEJones' argument about thermodynamics
    in relation to the origin of life a "Creationist Law of Thermodynamics".
    Since his and mine appear to me to be so similar, then I consider you to be
    calling my "version" of thermodynamics Creationist also. I feel this is
    unwarranted, especially since you (and our other opponents) won't even
    discuss the topic we are.