Re: Phil Johnson on the Second Law of Thermodynamics

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 22:34:15 EST

    DNAunion: I have the book SEJones quoted from a lot recently (The Mystery of
    Life's Origin) and decided to skim over the chapters on thermodynamics
    (SEJones presented a lot of good material I had forgotten was in there). I
    found the following "one-liner" that fairly-explicitly states the negative
    effects of entropy that life must overcome.

    "Peter Molton has defined life as "regions of order which use energy to
    maintain their organization *against the disruptive force of entropy*"".

    That is from, (Charles B. Thaxton [Ph.D. in Chemistry], Walter L. Bradley
    [Ph.D. in Materials Science], Roger L. Olsen [BS in Chemistry, Ph.D. in
    Geochemistry], The Mystery of Life's Origin: Reassessing Current Theories,
    Lewis and Stanley, 1984, p127). They give the reference for the quote as:
    "Peter M. Molton, 1978. J. Brit. Interplanet. Soc. 31, 147."