ID thinking

From: Nelson Alonso (nalonso@ecal.com)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 19:37:16 EST

    Some thoughts on the ID perspective (although my views don't necessarily
    reflect those of other IDers.)

    The way nanotechnologists think is very similar to the way I have seen many
    IDers think.For example, when we consider nanotechnology we must come to one
    realization. Human intervention in the manufacture of each of a mole of
    devices seems too labor intensive for a brilliant designer to be involved
    in.
    If I was the designer of the molecular machines, I would want to design an
    assembler. Such a design would have be controlled by computer code. If I can
    succeed in making such an assembler, the device can make a second one, a
    third one, those can make one of their own, two of their own, etc. Thus I
    have cut my work many times in half.

    We see such a replication machinery in nature.At the head of the replication
    machine is a helicase, a protein that uses the energy of ATP hyrolysis to
    speed along DNA, opening the doulbe helix as it moves. Another component of
    the replication machine is a single strand binding protein, it clings to the
    single stranded DNA exposed by the helicase and stops it from reforming base
    pairs. It also uses a sliding clamp, keeps the DNA polymerase firmly
    attached to the DNA template. It also releases the polymerase from the DNA
    each time an Okazaki fragment is completed. This clamp protein forms a ring
    around the DNA helix, allowing it to slide along a template strand as it
    synthesizes new DNA.

    All these proteins are held together in a large multienzyme complex that
    moves as a unit along the DNA.

    There are several ways to use this type of thinking to understand our biotic
    world using ID. For example, why would the molecular secretory pumps found
    in nature use rotary motion since it has a verticle shaft? Using ID , you
    can predict that the rotation of the shaft moves a helical groove past
    longitudinal grooves inside the pump housing.