Re: Nothing comes from nothing or does it?

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 04 2000 - 14:52:01 EST

    >>>DNAunion: What type of simpler life are you referring to? There is no
    simpler autonomous cellular life than the simplest autonomous bacterium.

    >>>Silk here: What then explains the bacterium? Where did it come from? Did
    it evolve from something else & if so what? Or was it the result of
    abiogenesis?

    ***************

    DNAunion: Well, that is kind of the 64 thousand dollar question (recently
    put to shame by Regis's million dollar question!).

    But first, note my qualifying words, which I will emphasize here: "There is
    no simpler *autonomous* *cellular* life than the simplest autonomous
    bacterium."

    If viruses are considered as living (flip a coin!), then they are simpler
    life than bacteria. But they still would not be *cellular* life (nor would
    they be *autonomous* life). The same goes for hypothetical self-replicators
    related to the origin of life: if one used the minimalistic definition of
    life used by OOL researchers, the self-replicators would be alive, but they
    still would not be *cellular* (which is why I continued my statements and
    mentioned self-replicators, which you did not include in your e-mail).

    Now, where did bacteria come from? Who knows (for sure, anyway). Most
    "naturalists" say bacteria evolved from the hypothetical self-replicators.
    But as something THadley just posted here either today or yesterday, several
    "naturalist" scientists believe that eukaryotes preceded prokaryotes (such as
    bacteria), the latter therefore being derived from the former. Other
    "naturalists" hold that bacteria arose naturally elsewhere and then arrived
    on Earth from space (bacterial spores buried inside meteors, for example).
    And I and others would say that bacteria may have been seeded on Earth by
    intelligent extraterrestrial civilizations. And of course, others hold that
    the first life was a product of divine creation.