Re: Phil Johnson on the Second Law of Thermodynamics

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 04 2000 - 14:22:20 EST

    >> DNAunion: By saying this, are you suggesting that the individual
    components of a bacterium used to be capable of living independently, but
    once incorporated into bacteria, they lost that ability? For example, were
    ribosomes once free-living entities, and at that ancient time, ;bacteria; did
    not have ribosomes (but later acquired them through symbiosis)?

    >>Thadley: Yes, with the caveat that such a free-living entity would not be
    "just" a ribosome but a ribosome plus something else. Likewise, these
    hypothetical ancient bacteria, would not be "just" bacteria without
    ribosomes, but cells functioning with something else. (My excuse for so many
    hypotheticals would be that science hasn't yet ruled out the chemical
    possibility of replicators simpler than bacteria.) Of possible relevance, I
    just noticed this abstract on PubMed "Early evolution: prokaryotes, the new
    kids on the block." which argues that the ribosome had a prior function
    before protein synthesis (
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u

    ids=10497339&dopt=Abstract).

    **********************
    DNAunion: Thanks for the reference: I found the abstract (listed below) very
    provocative, since it seems to go against conventional wisdom in at least 2
    ways, and have purchased a copy of the article through www.bmn.com.
    (However, it too relies on a RNA replicase arising by purely natural
    processes, which is a big assumption, and one that the scientific experiments
    have not, and do not, support).

    "Prokaryotes are generally assumed to be the oldest existing form of life on
    earth. This assumption, however, makes it difficult to understand certain
    aspects of the transition from earlier stages in the origin of life to more
    complex ones, and it does not account for many apparently ancient features in
    the eukaryotes. From a model of the RNA world, based on relic RNA species in
    modern organisms, one can infer that there was an absolute requirement for a
    high-accuracy RNA replicase even before proteins evolved. In addition, we
    argue here that the ribosome (together with the RNAs involved in its
    assembly) is so large that it must have had a prior function before protein
    synthesis. A model that connects and equates these two requirements
    (high-accuracy RNA replicase and prior function of the ribosome) can explain
    many steps in the origin of life while accounting for the observation that
    eukaryotes have retained more vestiges of the RNA world. The later derivation
    of prokaryote RNA metabolism and genome structure can be accounted for by the
    two complementary mechanisms of r-selection and thermoreduction. Copyright
    1999 John Wiley & Sons, Inc" (Early Evolution: Prokaryotes, the New Kids on
    the Block, Poole A, Jeffares D, & Penny D, Bioessays 1999 Oct 21:10 880-9)
    ***************

    […]

    >>>DNAunion: Symbiosis is a method by which *preexisting* life becomes more
    complex. I would still like for you to *clearly* state how you are proposing
    symbiosis assisted the origin of the very first cells.

    >>>Thadley: What is needed first is several plausible replicators of any
    kind. Then, some degree of divergent evolution followed by competition among
    strains. I can't give you a step by step scenario, though, but I don't
    think its nonexistence is obvious.

    ***************
    DNAunion: That is the assumed scenario, but I don't see the symbiosis in it.
     Your statements suggest simple competition, not the combining of separate
    living entities into a new whole where each benefits. Perhaps you simply
    left such comments out inadvertently.
    ***************

    >>>DNAunion: Points 1 & 2 taken together -- there truly IS SOMETHING that
    can arrange matter in complex and organized ways, and (2) there truly IS
    NOTHING that opposes matter's being arranged in organized and complex ways --
    indicate that all natural reactions would lead irreversibly toward greater
    complexity and organization.

    >>>Thadley: Oh, I see. Let me backtrack and reject (2), since there are
    clearly many processes that "unarrange" matter.

    *********************
    DNAunion: Thanks, rejecting (2) has been my main point throughout this
    series of exchanges on entropy. Someone (I have lost track who, FMAJ? Chris
    Cogan?) stated to the effect that there is nothing that opposes matter's
    being arranged in complex and organized ways. I said that such a statement
    is wrong because there is something that does so (but it can be "overcome").
    **********************

    […]

    >>>DNAunion: As far as the simpler-than-bacteria self-replicators, they are
    still only designed; none have been shown to arise under prebiotically
    plausible conditions (and many leaders in OOL research express grave doubts
    that ever will - at least RNA replicases).

    >>>Thadley: What are the latest obstacles? It might depend on who you read.

    ****************
    DNAunion: The largest obstacle is that RNA itself is not currently a
    prebiotically-plausible molecule. No RNA obviously means no RNA replicase.
    Another is that even assuming methods of producing the "dream" pool of RNA
    polynucleotides, Orgel and Wright estimated that for 2 RNA replicases to
    arise (an RNA replicase cannot copy itself and so if only 1 appeared, when it
    "died", so would all hopes of sustained evolution) would require a mass of
    RNA molecules greater than that of the entire Earth: not just the thin veneer
    of the biosphere, but the entire Earth; core, mantle, and all! And their
    assumption was based on the further assumption (which seems low to me,
    personally) that a mere 40-mer could function as an RNA replicase. In
    addition, there is the potential problem of Eigen's error
    catastrophe/threshold, which in simple terms states that there is an inverse
    relationship between the error rate in copying and the maximum length of a
    "genome" (that is, the less accurate the copying of nucleotides is, the
    shorter the maximum number of nucleotides that could be in the replicator).
    Keep in mind that no RNA replicase (an all-RNA, RNA-dependent RNA-polymerase)
    has been found in in vitro evolution experiments aimed at creating them: and
    there have been several such experiments, and they have started with some
    10^15 RNA molecules (that is a million billion RNA molecules). There is also
    the problem of enantiomeric-cross inhibition: the poisoning of chain
    elongation when both the L- and D-enantiomers are incorporated.
    ******************

    >>>Thadley: At the very least, there is a great deal of molecular data that
    certainly hints at some sort of complex chemical history, whether the
    ultimate location of that is terrestrial or not.
    http://imbs.massey.ac.nz/Research/MolEvol/Farside/ANT_RES.HTM

    *******************
    DNAunion: I noticed that the above link took me to a page written by the
    same scientists you referenced earlier (from the abstract I posted from your
    link). However, their scenario still seems to start from a preexisting RNA
    world, without explaining how it first arose: this demonstrates the
    acceptance of assumptions as valid starting points in OOL research (not that
    I know of a way to get around doing such). And again, their scenario goes
    against conventional OOL wisdom by proposing prokaryotes as being derived
    from eukaryotes, instead of the other way around. I will have to wait until
    I can read their published work to determine if I personally find their
    arguments more reasonable than the mainstream.
    ********************

    >>>DNAunion: And even if a self-replicator arose, how would symbiosis of
    preexisting simple life forms explain the use of ribosomes by all cells,
    since ribosomes are neither free-living nor living at all, and no material I
    have read proposes that they ever were?

    >>>Thadley: I'm using living and replicating in the same way.

    *******************
    DNAunion: Okay. But then I don't see how you are proposing symbiosis in the
    origin of replication.
    *******************

    […]

    >>>DNAunion: A little off the subject, but somewhat related Margulis has
    stated to the effect (and I agree) that it is a bigger leap going from amino
    acids to a bacterium than it is going from a bacterium to a human: that is,
    prebiotic chemical evolution is more difficult than subsequent biological
    evolution (the real quote can be found at www.pansermia.org, but I don't know
    exactly where at that site it is). If the smaller, easier leap (for the
    first cells to evolve into humans) took about 4 billion years, then wouldn't
    the larger, harder leap (for prebiotic chemical evolution to produce the
    first cells) take much longer than 4 billion years? Yet the maximum windows
    now being discussed are on the order of 200 million years, with the average
    hovering around 50 million, with some even less.

    >>>Thadley: I see the origin of life as sort of a black box with us having
    the occasional barest glimpses into its interior. Processes we can observe
    will always be seem to be easier to understand than processes we can only
    guess at, so I'm not sure I'd agree with the implication that amino acids to
    bacteria is really a qualitatively larger leap. Maybe quantitatively, yes.

    ***************
    DNAunion: I see no reason to disallow the drawing of conclusions based on
    our *current* knowledge. I think Margulis's statement is accurate based on
    what prebiotic experiments have revealed. One can always hold out *hope*
    that some new breakthrough will show the way, but I don't think we should
    base our current conclusions on things we hope will be discovered in the
    future.
    ***************

    >>>Thadley: Let me ask this. Do you think we should stop researching
    naturalistic methods of the origin of life?

    **********
    DNAunion: No. OOL researchers should continue their work (assuming that
    more pressing scientific issues are not being negatively impacted due to lack
    of funding being spent on OOL research). But I would like to see - and think
    it is their obligation to use - words like "assume", "could be that",
    "hypothetically", etc. scattered throughout OOL material, clearly indicating
    that a purely-natural OOL is not scientific fact, but rather an unsupported
    assumption.
    ***********

    >>>Thadley: Do we know enough now about the origins of life to conclude it
    didn't happen naturalistically 4 billions years ago on Earth?

    *************
    DNAunion: To *conclude*? Sure we do, because conclusions are not the same
    as fact. I and others can *conclude* that life as complex as the simplest
    autonomous bacterium could not have arisen by purely natural processes here
    on Earth, in the amount of time available and under the conditions thought to
    have existed, and no science says we are wrong. Those that assume a
    purely-natural OOL on Earth can also *conclude* that it happened, and that
    hoped-for future developments will show them to be correct after all. As far
    as stating as fact, I don't believe either side has the evidence to do so.
    OOL researchers clearly have not "proven" their position, and anti-OOL-ists
    would have to "prove" a negative in science: something virtually impossible
    to do.