Re: Phil Johnson on the Second Law of Thermodynamics

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 14:12:59 EST

    > DNAunion: My main point was, (1) if there truly IS SOMETHING that can
    arrange matter in complex and organized ways, and (2) there truly IS NOTHING
    that opposes matter's being arranged in organized and complex ways, and (3)
    we take ALL of the PREEXISTING & FUNCTIONING components of a bacterium and
    release them into an area *immediately surrounding* the lysed bacterium, then
    why will the components not again become ordered/arranged as a functioning
    bacterium? Nothing new has to be created, just that which existed a *minute*
    earlier needs to become reestablished: but it doesn't.

    >>Thadley: It appears to be a "law" of nature that the individual parts of
    an organism will also lose any extra mechanisms or functionality that would
    allow them to exist independently; they will become dependent on other parts
    for essential ingredients for basic functionality.

    DNAunion: By saying this, are you suggesting that the individual components
    of a bacterium used to be capable of living independently, but once
    incorporated into bacteria, they lost that ability? For example, were
    ribosomes once free-living entities, and at that ancient time,
    “bacteria” did not have ribosomes (but later acquired them
    through symbiosis)?

    >>>Thadley: Thus, breaking a bacterium down into individual components would
    accomplish the same result as breaking a bacterium down into individual
    molecules, or individual atoms. Nothing in the short term.

    DNAunion: Or in the long term.

    “Oparin suggested that collections of molecules were continually coming
    together in the prebiotic soup, and that the ones that persisted the longest
    would come to predominate. Somehow, this chemical evolution led to the first
    self-replicating entities, or protobionts, and once this had happened,
    biological evolution took over. This is the scenario presented in textbook
    accounts of the origin of life, and this mind-set had dominated thinking in
    the field. But there are too many gaping holes in this story for us.
    Protobionts arose somehow from the collection of organic molecules in the
    Earth’s early primordial oceans. BUT WE KNOW THAT EVEN IF ONE WERE TO
    RECREATE IN A LABORATORY FLASK A RICH AND COMPLEX APPROXIMATION OF AN EARLY
    EARTH SOUP, STERILIZE IT, AND THEN LET THE FLASK SIT ON A SHELF, IT WOULD SIT
    THERE *INDEFINITELY* WITHOUT ANY SIGN OF LIFE – OR INDEED ANY SIGN OF
    OPARIN’S CHEMICAL EVOLUTION.” (emphasis added, Christopher Wills
    & Jeffrey Bada, The Spark of Life: Da
    rwin and the Primeval Soup, Perseus Publishing, 2000, p XV)

    Of course, the authors don’t leave it there: they continue,
    “There has to have been a powerful mechanism behind the appearance of
    the first protobionts.” and offer Darwinian evolution as that powerful
    mechanism.

    But the important point here is that the matter sitting in that flask –
    the same types of matter that *theoretically* formed a protobiont –
    will *NEVER* "self-organize" into either a full-blown cell or a
    “mere” self-replicating entity.

    >>>Thadley: However, theories of symbiosis would propose that the basic raw
    materials of modern life were originally incorporated into seperate, simpler
    forms that at various points over time entered into a profitable
    relationships other simple life forms to form more successful and more
    complex life forms. What appears to be critical to the rapid formation of
    complex life is the aggregation of simpler but self-sustainable life -- not
    raw materials.

    DNAunion: Symbiosis is a method by which *preexisting* life becomes more
    complex. I would still like for you to *clearly* state how you are proposing
    symbiosis assisted the origin of the very first cells.

    >>>Thadley: This, as a logical possibility at minimum, is a mechanism that
    is consistent with both 3 and 1 being true. However, I might be
    misunderstanding you in general by reading (2) in a different sense then you
    intend. Can it be read to say that nothing prevents complexity, but some
    mechanisms result in complexity faster than others?

    DNAunion: Points 1 & 2 taken together – “(1) … there truly
    IS SOMETHING that can arrange matter in complex and organized ways, and (2)
    there truly IS NOTHING that opposes matter's being arranged in organized and
    complex ways” – indicate that all natural reactions would lead
    irreversibly toward greater complexity and organization.

    One could visualize a ratchet, where changes can occur in only one direction.
     Once a change is clicked in the positive direction, that advance is locked
    in place and can never be undone: there can be absolutely no regress, only
    continual progress. Unless all reactions cease totally, this will eventually
    lead the “spilled out guts” of a bacterium "reassembling" into a
    bacterium. But since this “self-organization” will not occur,
    statements 1 and 2 cannot both be totally accurate.

    >>>DNAunion: And if we can start with every single physical and operational
    entity of a functional cell: every amino acid, nucleotide, polysaccharide,
    lipid, tRNA, mRNA, rRNA, DNA, DNA polymerase, DNA ligase, DNA helicase,
    single-stranded binding protein, RNA primase, ribosome, the genetic code,
    transcription, translation, replication, anabolic and catabolic pathways,
    etc: and allow them to become disordered spontaneously simply by making the
    surrounding wall/membrane leaky and these still won't self-organize into a
    functioning cell, then why is it valid to make the much bigger leap of faith
    to believe that pools of *far simpler* and random organic molecules could
    have become organized in the complex ways associated with a bacterium, by the
    same kind of undirected natural processes that fail here?

    >>>Thadley: In this [prebiotic] case, the pools would result in far simpler
    "life" than bacteria, and possibly, over time many different kinds of simple
    "life" as molded by environmental pressures. This simpler life, then, would
    make those "macro"-leaps of complexity with something similar to symbiosis.

    DNAunion: What type of simpler life are you referring to? There is no
    simpler autonomous cellular life than the “simplest” autonomous
    bacterium. As far as the simpler-than-bacteria self-replicators, they are
    still only designed – none have been shown to arise under prebiotically
    plausible conditions (and many leaders in OOL research express grave doubts
    that ever will - at least RNA replicases). And even if a self-replicator
    arose, how would symbiosis of preexisting simple life forms explain the use
    of ribosomes by all cells, since ribosomes are neither free-living nor living
    at all, and no material I have read proposes that they ever were?

    >>>DNAunion: […] I am not sure how the "it was originally two
    separate, functioning, living entities that combined and then became
    co-dependent so each lost its autonomy" argument holds up in relation to
    bacteria.

    >>>ThadleY: In the case of bacteria, I'm sure it's speculation. However, it
    seems that if the concept worked so well for eukaryotes, why not for the
    prokaryotes as well?

    DNAunion: What would the hypothetical free-living entities be that joined
    together to form the first prokaryote? In eukaryotes, the chloroplasts and
    mitochondria were formerly free-living bacteria, but prokaryotes don’t
    have them. (In addition, Margulis has proposed many other hypothetical
    instances of symbiosis – but I am not familiar with them. Are they not
    other membrane-enclosed organelles, such as lysosomes, that would be unique
    to eukaryotes?).

    > DNAunion: If you could separate an "aggregate" living cell into two
    autonomous living cells, then reunite them forming again the original
    "aggregate" cell, what would that demonstrate? It still would not demonstrate
    in the least that matter can become arranged in the complex and organized
    ways associated with life by purely-natural means because the components
    themselves were already arranged in the complex and organized ways associated
    with life.

    >>>Thadley: But the components are simpler than the resulting organisms.
    Thus, theoretically, those components could also be decomposed into simpler
    components yet, and so on.

    DNAunion: But what supports this assumption? What individual free-living
    entities could a cyanobacteria (from which mitochondria supposedly evolved)
    be broken down into?

    > >THadley: And if symbiosis played other roles, we might also expect the
    same reasoning to apply to many of the individual "building blocks" of life.

    >> DNAunion: Do you have an example or can you expand on this?

    >>>Thadley: No hard data that I'm aware of, but I think there's a certain
    elegance to the theory. This is something like Margulis' Gaia hypothesis.

    DNAunion: A little off the subject, but somewhat related. Margulis has
    stated to the effect (and I agree) that it is a bigger leap going from
    “amino acids” to a bacterium than it is going from a bacterium to
    a human: that is, prebiotic chemical evolution is more difficult than
    subsequent biological evolution (the real quote can be found at
    www.pansermia.org, but I don’t know exactly where at that site it is).

    If the smaller, easier leap (for the first cells to evolve into humans) took
    about 4 billion years, then wouldn’t the larger, harder leap (for
    prebiotic chemical evolution to produce the first cells) take much longer
    than 4 billion years? Yet the maximum windows now being discussed are on the
    order of 200 million years, with the average hovering around 50 million, with
    some even less.