Re: ID *does* require a designer! (but it does not need to identify who or what he/it is)

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 23:53:52 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 02:46:12 +0100, Richard Wein wrote:

    [...]

    >SJ>One wonders why Richard even *bothers* debating with "irrational"
    >>opponents who spout "absurd", and "nonsense" arguments?

    RW>Well, that's the one rational thing that you've said in your last few
    >replies to me.
    >
    >I suppose the answer is that I have great faith in the power of rational
    >argument. I keep thinking that *this* point is so clear that even a
    >creationist/IDer will be able to accept it. Or at least I used to. My faith
    >in the power of rational argument has just about been knocked out of me by
    >my experiences with creationists/IDers over the last year. In future, I
    >doubt that I will engage in any more debates with them.

    One day Richard may realise that the real problem is not "rational
    argument" but the ultimate *starting point* which must be *assumed*.

    Richard assumes there is no God and I assume there is. Neither of us can
    prove by "rational argument" *alone* whose the ultimate starting point is
    right.

    But if my ultimate starting point is right, then all Richard's "rational
    arguments" after that are *wrong* and vice-versa.

    The only thing that we can both agree on is that if Richard is right and
    I am wrong then the consequences for me are trivial-I would have had a full
    and satisfying life.

    But OTOH if I am right and Richard is wrong then the consequences are
    decidedly *non*-trivial for both of us!

    As Pascal pointed out, when two ultimate positions are equally
    unresolvable by rational argument *alone* then the truly rational thing to do
    is embrace the position that yields the greatest benefit and avoids the
    greatest loss:

            "Let us then examine this point, and let us say: 'Either God is or he
            is not.' But to which view shall we be inclined? Reason cannot
            decide this question. Infinite chaos separates us. At the far end of
            this infinite distance a coin is being spun which will come down
            heads or tails. How will you wager? Reason cannot make you
            choose either, reason cannot prove either wrong. Do not then
            condemn as wrong those who have made a choice, for you know
            nothing about it. 'No, but I will condemn them not for having made
            this particular choice, but any choice, for, although the one who
            calls heads and the other one are equally at fault, the fact is that
            they are both at fault: the right thing is not to wager at all.' Yes, but
            you must wager. There is no choice, you are already committed.
            Which will you choose then? Let us see: since a choice must be
            made, let us see which offers you the least interest. You have two
            things to lose: the true and the good; and two things to stake: your
            reason and your will, your knowledge and your happiness; and your
            nature has two things to avoid: error and wretchedness. Since you
            must necessarily choose, your reason is no more affronted by
            choosing one rather than the other. That is one point cleared up.
            But your happiness? Let us weigh up the gain and the loss involved
            in calling heads that God exists. Let us assess the two cases: if you
            win you win everything, if you lose you lose nothing." (Pascal B.,
            "Pensees," [1670], Penguin, 1966, p.122)

    "I tell you that you will gain even in this life, and that at every step you
    take along this road you will see that your gain is so certain and your risk
    so negligible that in the end you will realize that you have wagered on
    something certain and infinite for which you have paid nothing." (Pascal B.,
    "Pensees," [1670], Krailsheimer A.J., Transl., Penguin: London, Revised
    edition, 1966, p.125)
    Stephen E. Jones | Ph. +61 8 9448 7439 | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones