Re: Peer-review article submissions

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 16:20:35 EST

    >>>Pantrog: A former colleague of mine is a victim of the antievolution
    conspiracy! He submitted a research paper to a peer-reviewed journal and it
    was REJECTED!! Obviouosly, there is a vast, anti-naturalistic materialism
    conspiracy being perpetrated by an elitist group of anti-Nature forces....

    DNAunion: Did you even read the material at the link? Apparently not or you
    wouldn't make such a silly statement. Here you go Pantrog, er.. I mean
    HandJobFromYourMom, er... I mean Pangloss, er... I mean Huxter, here is a
    sampling from that site.

    >>>Michael Behe.

    [My next letter to the editor follows]

    July 19, 1999

    Dear Dr. . . . ,

    Well, I guess I should have expected it, but I have to admit I'm
    disappointed. For the record I'd like to point out that the "senior [journal]
    advisor" who reviewed my recent submission ("Obstacles to gene duplication .
    . .") didn't react to my actual arguments in the paper, but to associations
    he made. The manuscript did not argue for intelligent design, nor did it say
    that complex systems would never be explained within Darwinian theory.
    Rather, it just made the simple, obvious, and unarguable point that gene
    duplication by itself is an incomplete explanation. Apparently, however, my
    skepticism about Darwinism overshadowed all other points. Everything I wrote
    beyond the first sentence was pretty much ignored or dismissed without
    engagement. I should also point out that, on the one hand, my paper discussed
    published experiments on specific genes in the clotting cascade of mice, the
    published misinterpretation of those experiments, and why that shows we need
    more information than sequence similarity to explain the origin of the
    cascade and other systems. The senior advisor, on the other hand, discussed
    our "glorious age" of biology, the history of science, how the world has "an
    intelligence much greater than our intelligence," God as "a being that
    combines consciousness, will, and universal power," and so on. Yet he thinks
    he's being scientific and I'm being metaphysical. Go figure.

    I must admit I'm quite surprised by your current stance, Dr. . . . . In our
    email correspondence you wrote that you were "painfully aware of the
    close-mindedness of the scientific community to non-orthodoxy" and that you
    would entertain a manuscript from me that was "sufficiently provocative and
    lively." That led me to believe that I could express skepticism of Darwinism
    and still have a hearing. But then in your rejection letter you worry about
    "the controversial nature of your letter to [the journal]" as if you weren't
    expecting controversy, and you choose to send the manuscript to be reviewed
    by someone who says things like "If evolutionary pathways were difficult to
    find, nature faced these difficulties and solved them" (so there!)--not
    exactly the sentiments of someone with an open mind. Well, perhaps you've had
    a change of heart. That can happen if one discovers that the
    "close-mindedness of the scientific community" has some bite to it. But as
    the senior advisor bravely writes, "Let us speak about it again in 1000
    years." Perhaps by then the readers of [the journal] will be able to handle
    skepticism.

    Sincerely,

    Michael J. Behe
    Professor of Biological Sciences