Re: Report by Jonathan Wells of tour of Arkansas, Kansas, Washington

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 07:58:57 EDT

    From: Stephen E. Jones <sejones@iinet.net.au>

    >Now for Wells' report. I particularly like this bit:
    >
    > "My debate partner objected that design is not scientific because it
    > is not published in peer-reviewed literature. I pointed out that Mike
    > Behe and others have attempted to publish articles on the subject,
    > but they have been rebuffed on the grounds that design is not
    > scientific. Catch-22: Design is not scientific because it's not
    > published in peer-reviewed journals, but it's not published in peer-
    > reviewed journals because it's not scientific."

    If Wells' debate partner really made this objection (and one should take
    anything an ID proponent says with a big pinch of salt), then I would
    strongly disagree with him/her. I'm sure that valid scientific papers have
    sometimes been rejected by peer-reviewed journals.

    Nevertheless, I would say that, for the average scientist, who doesn't want
    to waste time reading every piece of pseudoscientific nonsense, and who
    trusts the peer-review process, it's reasonable to assume that, if a paper
    has consistently been rejected by peer-reviewed journals, it is probably
    lacking in scientific merit.

    The ID work that I've read is unscientific because its arguments are not
    logically sound. Of course, I haven't seen the papers that Behe submitted to
    journals. But, on the basis of the ID literature that I have seen, I would
    assume that they were rejected for lack of scientific merit.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    "Do the calculation. Take the numbers seriously. See if the underlying
    probabilities really are small enough to yield design."
      -- W. A. Dembski, who has never presented any calculation to back up his
    claim to have detected Intelligent Design in life.