Re: `Do the calculation' (was My rebuttal of the design inference)

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 09:42:25 EDT

    From: Stephen E. Jones <sejones@iinet.net.au>
    [...]
    >I would like to actually *thank* Richard and Wesley for their strong
    >criticisms of ID in general and Dembski's Design Inference in particular.
    >Such criticisms are only to be expected and are in fact a back-handed
    >compliment to the perceived threat of ID. In the end such criticisms
    >will *help* ID become more robust. So to Richard and Wesley and other
    >critics, keep 'em coming! :-)

    You have to admire Stephen's optimism. No matter how damning the arguments
    against ID, he can always convince himself that they will work to ID's
    advantage. Perhaps he's right, though. When it comes to marketing, whether
    it's hairspray or ID, they say that "any publicity is good publicity". ;-)

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    "Do the calculation. Take the numbers seriously. See if the underlying
    probabilities really are small enough to yield design."
      -- W. A. Dembski, who has never presented any calculation to back up his
    claim to have detected Intelligent Design in life.