Re: Entropy (was Re: Human Designers vs. God-as-Designer)

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 03:08:25 EDT

    In a message dated 10/22/2000 7:47:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    DNAunion@aol.com writes:

    > DNAunion: All life requires that it actively maintain itself far above
    > thermodynamic equilibrium. For an acorn to grow into an oak, it must fight
    > against, and "overcome", entropic tendencies at every moment along the way.
    > This example does not contradict my statements.

    Exactly. This far for equilibrium thermodynamics is exactly what drives
    evolution and creation of completity. So what does this show?

    [...]

    DNAunion: Hurricanes are not organized, just ordered. Being organized is a
    higher state than being ordered, as organization implies multiple parts
    operating together as a whole. A pile of leafs is ordered, but not
    organized. A car's engine (or a cell) is both ordered and organized.

    Where in the SLOT is it concluded that organization is a relevant term?

    [...]

    >>>FMAJ: So show how specified complexity cannot be formed by evolutionary
    pathways?

    >>>DNAunion: I already gave a general example: the latest issue of "Origins
    of Life and Evolution of the Biosphere".

    *************
    DNAunion: No response here by David Bowman?
    *************

    As Wesley has shown evolutionary algorithms can generate specified complexity
     that cannot be distinguished from what Dembski seems to refer to as actual
    specified complexity. So where is the evidence that evolutionary pathways
    cannot generate exactly this specificity?

    http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=532248147

    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/ae/dembski_wa/sc_resp_wre.html

    http://www-lecb.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/paper/ev/

    "ev : Evolution of Biological Information by Tom Schneider, Nucleic Acids
    Research, 28(14): 2794-2799, 2000. Not directly commenting upon Dembski, but
    it does directly contradict Dembski's claims concerning information increase
    via evolutionary computation. "

    All links can be found at

    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/ae/dembski_wa.html

    DNAUnion:Now David. I have provided several biological examples that clearly
    show
    that there *is* something that opposes matter's becoming organized in complex
    ways in relation to biology. Proteins decomposing spontaneously; amino acids
    not polymerizing spontaneously; monosaccharides not linking spontaneously;

    There are similarly plenty of examples where spontaneous reactions occur in
    either direction. But what you have to show is what happens at far
    equilibrium. Here interesting things happen: complexity increases.
    That you have found instances in which there is an opposite trend is hardly
    surprising, life is full of generation and decay. Why focus only on the
    latter one?

    [...]

    DNAunion:
    If so, then you would still be agreeing that there is something that opposes
    matters
    being organized in complex ways, just that that something is not
    *thermodynamic entropy*. Or have I overlooked a possibility?

    There are instances where complexity increases are opposed just like there
    are instances that the opposite happens. Since evolution takes place at far
    equilibrium you should focus on such processes.

    http://www.cab.cnea.gov.ar/cab/invBasica/teoria.html#g

    "The formation and evolution of patterns is a typical manifestation of
    selforganization processes, arising in far from equilibrium complex
         systems. Besides its relevance in the study of such systems at a basic
    level, the analysis of selforganization phenomena is also relevant in
         several applications such as, physicochemical processes, information
    transmission and biological systems. The project aims to the study of
         development and behaviour of patterns in reaction-diffusion systems. "

    http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/u/jjkay/pubs/thesis/2.html
    http://www.icra.it/Publications/Books/Prigogine/Prigogine_motivation.htm
    http://www.mindspring.com/~duckster/evolution/thermo.html