Re: Entropy (was Re: Human Designers vs. God-as-Designer)

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 22:44:38 EDT

    DNAunion: Another long post that will not work under AOL. This is PART 1.

    >>>Ccogan: No. I'm not implying that that one fact validates evolution. I'm
    pointing out that matter has nothing against being organized in complex ways.

    >>> DNAunion: Actually it does: entropy. (Yes, localized decreases in entropy
    are possible, but only at the expense of equal or greater increases in
    entropy elsewhere: and the general rule is that the randomness and disorder
    of a system tends to increase naturally). The problem with your statement is
    that you incorrectly state that "matter has *nothing* against being organized
     in complex ways." This is wrong.

    >>>FMAJ: Nothing in the SLOT prevents matter becoming more organized.

    >>>DNAunion: Well, except for the natural tendency of systems to go from
    states of order to states of greater disorder. Matter *does* have something
    that works against its being organized in complex ways. Of course, entropy
    can be "circumvented" - the flow of matter and/or energy through a system can
    generate local increases in order, for example, but that does not mean that
    matter has *nothing* working against its becoming organized in complex ways.

    >>>David Bowman: […] It's hard to make sense of DNAunion's claims and
    concessions in his last quote above. It appears that he is claiming that
    matter has a tendency to prevent its organization except when it doesn't.

    ***************************
    DNAunion: I made no "concessions". I am stating, consistently, that there
    *is* something that works against matter's being organized in complex ways
    (contrary to FMAJ's assertion that there is *nothing* that does so). I am
    *not* stating that increases in order/organization cannot occur in nature.
    Can you grasp the distinction?

    Since this board deals with biological issues, biological thought experiments
    are most appropriate.

    Take a human being (which by a reductionist view is just atoms and molecules
    organized in complex ways) and "mix it up in a blender", then pour the "goo"
    out onto the table. Will the matter once again become organized in a complex
    way, reforming a human? No. Will an organized and complex reproductive
    system form? No. Will a kidney form? No. Will a heart form? No. Will a
    bone form? No. Will a brain form? No. Will *any* organized and complex
    biological multicelled structure form? No. Will *any* cell form? No.
    There must be something that prevents the matter from regaining is original
    organized, complex arrangement; or indeed, any biologically meaningful
    organized and complex arrangement.

    One could view this tendency towards disorder statistically by saying that
    there are many more ways for the atoms to be arranged randomly and
    disorderly, than there are for them to be arranged in an organized and
    complex manner.

    [quote]"The entropy also has an interpretation in terms of the microscopic
    view of the thermal system: it is a measure of disorder in the system, and
    all the ramifications of the second law can be derived by treating entropy as
    disorder. The entropy is thus closely linked to statistical ideas." (Modern
    Physics, Jeremy Bernstein, Paul M. Fishbane, & Stephen Gasiorowicz, Prentice
    Hall, 2000, p20)[/quote]

    [quote]"One of the most useful definitions of entropy arises from statistical
    considerations. From the statistical point of view, an increase in the
    entropy of a system (the substance or substances under consideration)
    represents an increase in its disorder or randomness. … The natural tendency
    of the universe lies in the direction of greater disorder. Another statement
    of the second law is this: in any spontaneous process the entropy of the
    universe increases." (Biochemistry, Mary K Campbell, Saunders College
    Publishing, 1991, p155)[/quote]

    The same kind of thought experiment I presented above yields the same results
    for a bacterium, or even individual biological informational macromolecules,
    like DNA polymerase or rRNA. There is *something* that opposes the
    organization of these instances of matter in complex ways: entropy.

    This can also be seen by looking at amino acids and proteins. Place amino
    acids into water. Will they polymerize into polypeptides? No. Place the
    amino acids on your kitchen table. Will they polymerize into polypeptides?
    No. Place the amino acids on a sterile surface. Will they polymerize into
    polypeptides? No. Then there must be something opposing this increase in
    order. It is entropy, as the polymerization of individual amino acids into a
    polypeptide results in a reduction in the disorder and randomness, and
    degrees of freedom, of the system. Okay, now let's start from the other end.
     Place protein - say DNA polymerase again - into water or on a surface and
    leave it alone. Will it remain ordered? No. Over time it will decompose -
    become more disordered - spontaneously. This is its natural tendency,
    according to entropy. So in these examples, matter by itself would not
    become more ordered, and if it started highly-ordered, it would lose its
    order over time. Now, if you supply energy to the system - heating the amino
    acid solution as Sidney Fox did- then the amino acids will have the ability
    to polymerize into proteinoid. (As I said, the flow of energy and/or matter
    through a system *can* produce localized increases in order, "overcoming" the
    natural tendency of matter towards greater disorder).

    [quote]"This is a general reaction describing the dehydration-condensation
    of, for instance, proteins from amino acids, polysaccharides from sugars, and
    nucleic acids from mononucleotides (whose constituents are pentoses, bases,
    and phosphates). These biosynthetic reactions result in a decrease in
    entropy. For example, when amino acids are linked to produce a peptide, they
    lose much of their freedom of movement in the solution. The formation of a
    peptide, a rather rigid and ordered molecule, imposes restrictions on the
    free movements of its building blocks. These restrictions are associated
    with an increase in the order of the system or a decrease in entropy." (Noam
    Lahav, Biogenesis: Theories of Life's Origins, Oxford University Press, 1999,
    p90)[/quote]

    Here's another thought experiment that backs up my position. Have a human
    stop eating. With no further input of matter and energy into the body from
    the outside, the flow of matter and energy inside the body - through the
    system - eventually ceases and the human - the cells that comprise its
    muscles, heart, brain, etc. - begins to decompose. This is the natural
    tendency of organized biological systems: to become less ordered
    spontaneously (equivalent to an increase in entropy). This tendency to
    become more disordered must be continually overcome in order for life to
    exist, develop, and evolve. Take away the source of the "overcoming" and the
    system follows its natural tendency of becoming less ordered and more random
    (entropy increases).

    In order for life to exist at all, it must actively maintain itself far above
    thermodynamic equilibrium. (I believe even David Bowman later states that
    entropy increases until thermodynamic equilibrium is reached). Thus,
    biochemistry's (life's) natural tendency is to reach thermodynamic
    equilibrium, but if it ever does, life ceases. There is something that
    opposes matter's being organized in the complex ways associated with life.

    Now, as far as "my" use of the term entropy as a measure of the disorder or
    randomness of a system, here are a few supporting quotes (I already posted
    several, and I have more that I will not post as it would be overkill). Note
    that my references range from bioenergetics, to biochemistry, to physics.

    [quote]"Entropy is a measure of disorder or randomness. … The rigorous
    definition of entropy actually involves counting or calculating the number of
    possible rearrangements of the microscopic quantum-mechanical properties of
    the elementary constituents of a physical system that do not affect its gross
    macroscopic properties (such as its energy or pressure). The details are not
    essential so long as you realize that entropy is a fully quantitative
    quantum-mechanical concept that precisely measures the overall disorder of a
    physical system." (The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions,
    and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory, Brian Greene, W. W. Norton & Company,
    1999, p333-334)[/quote]

    This last one seems to address David Bowman's usage (if I am not mistaken).
    If so, note that Brian Greene says that all the details are not essential to
    an understanding, and that my usage is valid.

    [quote]"Entropy: A measure of the amount of disorder in the Universe, or the
    availability of energy to do work. As energy is degraded into heat, it is
    less able to do work, and the amount of disorder in the Universe increases.
    This corresponds to an increase in entropy. In a closed system, entropy
    never decreases, so the Universe as a whole is slowly dying. In an open
    system, (for example, a growing flower), entropy can decrease and order can
    increase, but only at the expense of a decrease in order and an increase in
    entropy somewhere else (in this case, in the Sun, which is supplying the
    energy that the plant feeds off)." (Q is for Quantum: An Encyclopedia of
    Particle Physics, John Gribbin, Free Press, 1998, p126)[/quote]

    [quote]"… whenever a process occurs in nature, the randomness or disorder of
    the universe (that is, the entropy of the universe) invariably increases.
    This is one of two alternative ways to state the second law of
    thermodynamics. … To understand how the entropy of the universe can increase
    during a process while the entropy of the system decreases, we need only
    realize that the decrease in entropy of the system can be accompanied by an
    equal or greater increase in the entropy of the surroundings. On the basis of
    the second law, such local increases in order (decreases in entropy) must be
    offset by an even greater decrease in the order (increase in entropy) of the
    surroundings." (The World of the Cell: Third Edition, Wayne M. Becker, Jane
    B. Reece, and Martin F. Poenie, Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, 1996, p
    123 - 124) [/quote]

    [quote]"Entropy S is a measure of the degree of randomness or disorder of a
    system. Entropy increases as a system becomes more disordered and decreases
    as a system becomes more structured. … To see this, suppose that a 1.0 M
    solution of glucose is separated from a large volume of water by a membrane
    through which glucose can diffuse. Diffusion of glucose molecules across the
    membrane will give them more room in which to move, with the result that the
    randomness, or entropy, of the system is increased. Maximum entropy is
    achieved when all molecules can diffuse freely over the largest possible
    volume - that is, when the concentration of glucose molecules is the same on
    both sides of the membrane. … Many biological reactions lead to an increase
    in order, and thus a decrease in entropy ([change in]S < 0). An obvious
    example is the reaction that links amino acids together to form a protein. A
    solution of protein molecules has a lower entropy than does a solution of the
    same amino acids unlinked, because the free movement of any amino acid in a
    protein is restricted when it is bound in a long chain. For the linking
    reaction to proceed, a compensatory decrease in free energy must occur
    elsewhere in the system, as is discussed in Chapter 4." (Harvey Lodish,
    Arnold Berk, S. Lawrence Zipursky, Paul Matsudaira, David Baltimore, & James
    Darnell, Molecular Cell Biology: Fourth Edition, W. H. Freeman & Co., 2000,
    p37)[/quote]
    ***************************

    >>>David Bowman: How much real content does such a claim [as DNAunion's]
    really possess?

    **************************
    DNAunion: Only to be true - did anyone expect more?
    **************************

    >>>David Bowman: Real laws of nature are not so vacuous.

    **************************
    DNAunion: Please re-examine all of my statements, but this time without the
    bias you impose on them (as is seen in the latter part of your post).
    **************************

    >>>David Bowman: […]

    Q3: Does matter have anything against being organized in complex ways?

    A3: In general, no.

    *************************
    DNAunion: Then, (1) why do proteins decompose spontaneously into their
    constituent amino acids? (2) Why don't amino acids spontaneously assemble
    into polypeptides? (3) Why does life have to continually struggle against
    entropy, necessarily maintaining itself far above thermodynamic equilibrium?
    (4) Why do cells need enzymes to form glucose from monosaccharides, that is,
    why don't the monomers just link together spontaneously? (5) Why don't
    phospholipid bilayers form spontaneously - an increase in order - except in
    aqueous solutions? (6) Why do nucleic acids decompose spontaneously, and why
    don't nucleotides just polymerize themselves spontaneously into genomes? Etc.

    This is all biological entities and entropy, but what about generalizing this
    to other forms of matter and on grander scales.

    Take the individual components of a 4-stroke, reciprocating internal
    combustion engine - pistons, valves, spark plugs, etc. - and lay them out on
    the table. Will they become organized in complex ways to form an engine, or
    any other functional machine? No. Then is there not something preventing
    this? Yes. Okay, let's go further. Supply undirected energy to the system.
     You can place all the components into a chamber and increase the heat as
    high as you like; or you could jolt the table randomly as much as you like;
    or you could expose the components to intense ionizing radiation; or blast
    them with dynamite; etc. Will the parts assemble into an organized and
    complex arrangement? No. Then there must be something that opposes this,
    even with the addition of energy.