Re: WHY DOES THE UNIVERSE WORK?

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 06:48:12 EDT

    DNAunion: In reply to Chris Cogan's "Re: WHY DOES THE UNIVERSE WORK" reply
    posted 10/16/2000.

    >>Chirs: ...and we know that automobile engines do *not* reproduce
    themselves.

    >>DNAunion: We also know that prebiotic molecules do NOT reproduce
    themselves.

    >>Chris: *This* is false. Even something so simple as a water molecule can
    reproduce itself under suitable circumstances.

    DNAunion: Uhm, okay, well maybe, if you insist - got a reference to support
    this?

    >>Chris: Further, molecules have even been observe to evolve (although only
    slightly in the experiments I read about).

    DNAunion: I will assume you are referring to in vitro evolution. It would
    depend on the actual experiment under consideration as they are not conducted
    under purely-natural conditions: but this is not an issue in some/many/most
    cases. I agree that molecules can evolve in such experiments, but is it
    "natural", "directed", or a little of both. Using PCR instead of normal
    reproduction seems valid enough (for me anyway: and note we are not talking
    here about abiogenesis, but life's subsequent evolution). But the intense
    selection mechanisms - where all attributes of the molecules are ignored
    except for affinity to a pre-specified template - seems unnatural. The
    question would be, is this selection's "unnaturalness" meaningful? If it
    just speeds up what would occur under natural conditions (as PCR does), then
    there should be no objection, in my view. However, I do not feel that this
    is the case: I feel that the selection methods used in in vitro evolution
    experiments produces results other than those that would occur in nature
    (furthermore, there are specific, pre-determined, fixed goals that are aimed
    for from step one). Again, I am not stating that these issues necessarily
    invalidate the (natural) evolution in in vitro evolution, but I think the
    topic should be discussed further. (Also, note that I don't deny that
    evolution occurs in nature, nor that it does not occur in molecules like
    nucleic acids: I am just asking whether or not in vitro experiments are
    actually valid models of NATURAL evolution).

    >>Chris: I should add that, *strictly* speaking, probably no molecules
    actually reproduce themselves.

    DNAunion: Actually, there are some. But they were designed and are not
    self-sustaining. One example is the "famous" self-replicating 32-amino-acid
    peptide. Given its 15- and 17amino-acid subparts, it could serve as a
    template and could catalyze the joining of the 2 subparts into a new copy:
    but the full 32-aa peptide could not form its own subparts (researchers had
    to supply them), so although it was self-replicating, it was not
    self-sustaining. Some very-short "replicating" RNAs have also been designed.
     However, naturally-occurring RNA does not reproduce itself (no RNA-dependent
    RNA-polymerase has ever been recovered in prebiotic experiments).

    >>Chris: DNA does not reproduce itself, for example. It is reproduced, but
    not by itself. It is, as Lewontin and others have pointed out, passive.

    DNAunion: Okay, so how was I wrong? Sorry but the "strictly" part is
    irrelevant: water does not reproduce, and neither does "prebiotic" RNA (no
    technicality involved).

    […]