Re: A Question of Abiogenesis #2

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 00:57:21 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 02:08:35 +0100, Richard Wein wrote:

    [...]

    RW>Those like Stephen Jones and DNAUnion who, based on the limitations of our
    >present knowledge, conclude that naturalistic abiogenesis is impossible may
    >like to heed the fate of some past conclusions of impossibility...

    [...]

    I cant speak for DNAUnion but as for myself, I do not "conclude that
    naturalistic abiogenesis is impossible."

    I conclude, on the basis of the *evidence* "that naturalistic abiogenesis is"
    increasingly *improbable* but leave open the possibility that science might
    one day be able to demonstrate it.

    Once again Richard has shown that he needs to pay careful attention to
    what his opponents actually *do* say, rather than just what he *wants* them
    to say!

    "I doubt that there is a scientist who would question the ultimate causality
    of all biological phenomena-that is, that a causal explanation can be given
    for past biological events. Yet such an explanation will often have to be so
    unspecific and so purely formal that its explanatory value can certainly be
    challenged. In dealing with a complex system, an explanation can hardly be
    considered very illuminating that states: "Phenomenon A is caused by a
    complex set of interacting factors, one of which is b." Yet often this is about
    all one can say." (Mayr E., "Toward a New Philosophy of Biology:
    Observations of an Evolutionist," ["Cause and effect in biology," Science,
    Vol. 134, 1961, pp.1501-1506], Harvard University Press: Cambridge MA,
    1988, p.29)
    Stephen E. Jones | Ph. +61 8 9448 7439 | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones