RE: Dembski's Meta-News post attracts faculty attention

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 23:22:25 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:45:42 -0700, Hofmann, Jim wrote:

    >Date: 10/19/00 11:32 AM
    >From: Larry Brumley
    >DEMBSKI RELIEVED OF DUTIES AS POLANYI CENTER DIRECTOR
    >
    >William Dembski was relieved of his duties as director of Baylor
    >University's Michael Polanyi Center today. He will remain associate
    >professor in conceptual foundations of science within the university's
    >Institute for Faith and Learning.
    >
    >The action follows by two days the release of a peer review committee's
    >report on the Polanyi Center that affirmed the academic work of the center
    >while calling for the appointment of a faculty advisory committee and the
    >dropping of the Polanyi name.
    >
    >"The theme of the report emphasized the need for the individuals associated
    >with the center to work in a collegial manner with other members of the
    >Baylor faculty," said Dr. Michael Beaty, director of the Institute for Faith
    >and Learning, which houses the center. "Dr. Dembski's actions after the
    >release of the report compromised his ability to serve as director."

    Thanks to Jim for posting this, which saved me the trouble.

    While this was of course a bit of a shock, the feeling within the ID
    movement is that it was probably inevitable.

    The feeling also is that there is a `silver lining' to this in that now Dembski
    will be free of the contraints of the so-called "collegiality" (aka. thought
    control) of those on the Baylor faculty who have already shown they were
    implacably hostile to ID.

    All new scientific paradigms have had to go through a rocky time in order
    to be accepted, and ID should not expect to be any exception.

    BTW I wonder who they will get to replace Dembski to carry forward
    Baylor's ID program - Richard Dawkins? :-)

    "The theory of natural selection can describe and explain phenomena with
    considerable precision, but it cannot make reliable predictions, except
    through such trivial and meaningless circular statements as, for instance:
    "The fitter individuals will on the average leave more offspring." (Mayr E.,
    "Toward a New Philosophy of Biology: Observations of an Evolutionist,"
    [reprint of Mayr E., "Cause and effect in biology," [Science, Vol. 134, 1961,
    pp.1501-1506], Harvard University Press: Cambridge MA, 1988, pp.31-32)
    Stephen E. Jones | Ph. +61 8 9448 7439 | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones