Re: Baylor Lariat article on DI web site

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 14:33:28 EDT

    The Discovery Institute has another article on this subject, at
    http://www.discovery.org/crsc/CRSCrecentArticles.php3?id=487. It's taken
    from The Houston Chronicle, and is surprisingly balanced for an article
    found on the DI site.

    There were a few items in this article which particularly interested me...

    "The faculty senate, which represents a cross-section of the university,
    voted 27-2 in April to recommend dismantling the center and starting the
    project from scratch with faculty input."

    I hadn't realised that the vote was as overwhelming as this.

    "Cooper [chairperson of the external review committee] also said the
    committee did not investigate the center's connections with the
    Seattle-based Discovery Institute, a conservative think tank that promotes
    the teaching of intelligent design in public schools."

    I wonder why the committee chose to ignore these connections.

    "Dembski has received fellowships of $40,000 to $50,000 from the Seattle
    institute, and his salary at the Polanyi Center is paid from a $75,000 grant
    from the John Templeton Fund, which the institute distributes. Brumley said
    the university will pick up Dembski's salary after the grant expires next
    year."

    I was wondering about this. So Baylor could end up paying Dembski to promote
    his pseudoscientific work!

    "Dembski could not be reached for comment Tuesday, but Gordon said he
    believes intelligent design should be taught in public schools only once it
    gains widespread scientific credibility."

    I'm glad to hear that, but it's a shame that other IDers don't take this
    view.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    "Do the calculation. Take the numbers seriously. See if the underlying
    probabilities really are small enough to yield design."
      -- W. A. Dembski, who has never presented any calculation to back up his
    claim to have detected Intelligent Design in life.