Re: Baylor Lariat article on DI web site

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 13:09:00 EDT

    From: Wesley R. Elsberry <welsberr@inia.cls.org>

    ><http://www.discovery.org/embeddedRecentArticles.php3?id=486>
    ><http://www.baylor.edu/~Lariat/Archives/2000/20001018/art-front04.html>
    >
    >The article goes over some of the practical effects of the
    >recommendations of the review committee. The vagueness with
    >which some recommendations were made has caused multiple
    >interpretations of just how Dembski and Gordon should be
    >administratively classified: directors of a separate center,
    >or research faculty under the IFL?

    Well, the University President, Robert Sloan, says this decision will be
    left up to the new advisory committee.

    [quote]
    Although Sloan insisted that the committee's recommendations will be carried
    out completely and as soon as possible, the question of administrative
    structure within the center still remains unresolved.

    Whether the center will re-emerge under a new name or just be another
    research project within the Institute of Faith and Learning is unclear.

    "We are going to ask the advisory committee to consider that," Sloan said.
    "If they think its appropriate that we still have a structure like the
    center, then one of the things they can suggest is a new name."
    [end quote]

    So it seems that a lot will depend on the composition of the advisory
    committee.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    "Do the calculation. Take the numbers seriously. See if the underlying
    probabilities really are small enough to yield design."
      -- W. A. Dembski, who has never presented any calculation to back up his
    claim to have detected Intelligent Design in life.