Re: ID and Creationism

From: Susan Cogan (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 11:02:21 EDT

    >SJ>Here is a test of "dogmatism". I have in the past stated that I am prepared
    >to admit that I could be completely wrong about theism, Christianity, ID
    >and/or creationism and that atheism, Darwinism, and/or naturalistic
    >evolution could be completely right.
    >
    >I have invited Chris and other atheists to similarly state publicly that
    >they could be completely wrong about atheism, Darwinism, and/or naturalistic
    >evolution and that theism, Christianity, ID and/or creationism could be
    >completely right.
    >
    >To date, AFAIK, no atheist has been willing to admit this.

    atheism/Darwinism and Christianity/creationism are two big lumps in
    your mind. They are four separate issues for me.

    Theism:
    Someone once asked H.L. Menken what he would do if he died and woke
    up in heaven and saw Jesus surrounded by the apostles. He said he
    would walk up to Jesus and say "Sir, I was wrong." I'm afraid it
    would take a similar level of evidence for me to admit the same thing.

    Darwinism:
    The evidence supporting it is overwhelming. I'll probably believe it
    until the Theory of Gravity is proved untrue and things start
    floating up off the ground.

    Christianity:
    Christian morality with its Middle Eastern emphasis on blame/shame
    and its neurotic dualism will probably always turn me off.
    Christianity is also intensely authoritarian. Democracy is a pagan
    idea that Christians have never been comfortable with and I'm very
    fond of democracy.

    Creationism:
    An attempt to use the force of the Federal government to require
    teaching the mythology of one of the many religions practiced in the
    US in public schools. No thanks! There's nothing scientific about
    creationism and ID is just a propaganda campaign that collapses when
    real scientific evidence is required of it. See Christian views of
    democracy above.

    Susan

    --

    I am aware that the conclusions arrived at in this work will be denounced by some as highly irreligious; but he who denounces them is bound to shew why it is more irreligious to explain the origin of man as a distinct species by descent from some lower form, through the laws of variation and natural selection, than to explain the birth of the individual through the laws of ordinary reproduction.

    ---Charles Darwin

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/