Re: ID and Creationism

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 07:28:38 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 23:37:40 +0100, Richard Wein wrote:

    [...]

    >SJ>Here is a test of "dogmatism". I have in the past stated that I am prepared
    >>to admit that I could be completely wrong about theism, Christianity, ID
    >>and/or creationism and that atheism, Darwinism, and/or naturalistic
    >>evolution could be completely right.
    >>
    >>I have invited Chris and other atheists to similarly state publicly that
    >>they could be completely wrong about atheism, Darwinism, and/or naturalistic
    >>evolution and that theism, Christianity, ID and/or creationism could be
    >>completely right.
    >>
    >>To date, AFAIK, no atheist has been willing to admit this.

    RW>I did so shortly after joining the Reflector and again recently in response
    >to another of your challenges.

    I can't remember it. But if that is the case I stand corrected.

    So Richard *really* believes that he "could be completely wrong about
    atheism, Darwinism, and/or naturalistic evolution and that theism,
    Christianity, ID and/or creationism could be completely right"?

    RW>However, I don't consider this to be an effective test of dogmatism. One may
    >say that one is open-minded, and even genuinely believe it, but that does
    >not make it so.

    Agreed. So how does Richard know that *he* is not dogmatic?

    Perhaps a more "effective test of dogmatism" is seeing if a person
    constantly says his opponent is "irrational" and talking "nonsense"?

    RW>You are clearly not open-minded on most of the subjects
    >discussed here.

    Says Richard un-dogmatically? :-)

    "Biologists must constantly keep in mind that what they see was not
    designed, but rather evolved." (Crick F.H.C., "What Mad Pursuit: A
    Personal View of Scientific Discovery," [1988], Penguin: London, 1990,
    reprint, p.138)
    Stephen E. Jones | Ph. +61 8 9448 7439 | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones