Re: Supernaturalism's Basic Flaws

From: Ralph Krumdieck (ralphkru@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 17:36:15 EDT

    >> >This is a too-brief exposition of material from a larger essay that I have
    >> >not yet typed from my notebook. It is not about ID as such, nor even merely
    >> >supernaturalistic ID as such, but it deals with and is relevant to both.
    >> >
    >> >Problems with Supernaturalism
    >> >
    >> >I think it would be good to eliminate a lot of the confusion and silliness
    >> >from the debate over ID. To promote this goal, I propose that we eliminate
    >> >references to supernatural designers and methodologically assume that
    >> >*only* naturalistic designers (i.e., aliens, etc.) be considered as
    >> >possible intelligent designers. That is, ID proponents should propose
    >> >naturalistic designers with sufficient definition to be meaningfully
    >> >identified if we happen to run into them, and that ID proponents *drop* the
    >> >Rationalistic attempt to define design without respect to the nature of the
    >> >designer, in the lame *hope* that somehow, if design is ever discovered, it
    >> >can be attributed to a supernatural being.
    >>[...]
    >>Richard
    >>Chris, I fail to see why IDers should accept this suggestion. They claim
    >>that they have a method of detecting ID without regard to the nature of the
    >>designer, be he natural or supernatural. They are therefore under no
    >>obligation to differentiate between natural and supernatural designers. What
    >>they *are* under an obligation to do (but have failed to do) are the
    >>following:
    >>

    >>1. Define what they mean by ID.
    >>2. Establish that their methods can do what they're claimed to do.
    >>3. Cease to claim that mainstream scientists reject ID a priori because they
    >>have a philosophical objection to supernatural explanations. (They may have
    >>such an objection, but, since ID does not necessarily involve the
    >>supernatural, the argument is a non sequitur.)
    >
    >Chris
    >Well, if they would define what they mean by ID in terms that were
    >demonstrably sound and empirically testable, that would be fine. But, as
    >long as they are trying to sneak supernaturalism in, they can't very well
    >do that because supernaturalism has no empirically testable distinguishing
    >features. The moment it becomes testable, it's no longer supernaturalistic
    >ID. That is, the moment they define ID well enough to make it empirically
    >meaningful, it loses any need for a supernatural designer. Mike Gene's
    >"Paleyian designer" is a case in point. It supposedly has empirical
    >implications, but in taking them on, it loses its supernaturalism. It
    >becomes merely *any* being(s) who can design life as we have found it, who
    >can manipulate molecules in the right ways.

    I guess I don't see why this would be such a problem for ID, Chris. You're
    saying that a supernatural agency leaves no empirically testable
    distinguishing
    features. If any such features are found, it automatically, by definition,
    makes
    the agency non-supernatural. I agree but I don't see why IDers would feel
    compelled to accept such a definition. To paraphrase Steve: ID is about
    design, not the designer. Also, I think at least some IDers are banking
    on the
    idea that, if design is ever validated, most non-scientists (read "the
    public") will
    equate design with "god did it" and never mind the nuances of ID theory.
    ralph