Re: WHY DOES THE UNIVERSE WORK?

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 19:44:58 EDT

    << >FMAJ: Because we have direct evidence of the "evolution" of life and

    *********************************
    > Chris: You mean, such as that metal parts such as those used in engines are
    known to be designed? Yes, *if* the thing in question is built of parts that
    are known to be designed, and assembled in a way that is already known to be
     product of design, then such an "inference" is trivially easy.

    DNAunion: It seems to me that even a person who has absolutely no idea how
    car engines are produced (say someone from a "lost" civilization in the
    Amazon) would still recognize that a reciprocating, four-stroke internal
    combustion engine were designed if the operation of the device were explained
    to him in detail.

    >Chris: But such cases are essentially irrelevant to the question of whether
    life on Earth is designed and has been manipulated along the way. If you can
    show me the machining marks, the screws, the factories, and so on that
    indicate design, please do.

    DNAunion: If you can show me the purely natural pathway from non-life to
    life, then please do so.

    >Chris: But, it is my understanding that few humans were around in those
    early days, and we have not found any "ruins" of factories,

    DNAunion: Irrelevant. I am not claiming that life was designed and
    manufactured in factories here on Earth 4 billion years ago.

    >Chris: ... no remnants of design documents,

    DNAunion: Irrelevant. I am not claiming that life was designed and
    manufactured in factories here on Earth 4 billion years ago.

    >Chris: ... and the production of life seems to occur today without
    intervention

    DNAunion: Irrelevant. The origin of life does not occur today.

    >Chirs: ...and we know that automobile engines do *not* reproduce themselves.

    DNAunion: We also know that prebiotic molecules do NOT reproduce themselves.
     And we do have direct evidence of robots creating novel robots without being
    told how to do it, with the editor of "Wtired" (I believe) stating that we
    need to be cautious as we will soon be creating self-replicating robots.