Human designers vs. God-as-designer

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Sat Oct 14 2000 - 11:56:49 EDT

    >>Chris
    >>>Finally, echoing Arnhart, the theistic ID position is based almost entirely
    >>>on ignorance. It's the "God of the Gaps," again. Since we do not *know* how
    >>>life originated, we *cannot* argue that it must have been design. Since we
    >>>do not have *any* specific evidence of an actual *instance* of divine
    >>>intervention (and just how would we know it was *divine* intervention,
    >>>anyway?), we cannot claim to know that such interventions have occurred.
    >>>The strongest claim we can make is that we are *ignorant* of such things.
    >>>And ignorance means *ignorance*, not an excuse to make any damn arbitrary
    >>>claim we happen to want to believe because it fits our desires or religious
    >>>beliefs. (This is something many of the *non-theistic* ID theorists need to
    >>>learn as well (Bertvan?).)

    Bertvan
    >>Hi Chris,
    >>I have stated repeatedly that a profession of ignorance would be acceptable
    >>to me. And ignorance means ignorance, not an excuse to make such arbitrary
    >>claim such as, "We know exactly how it happened. It was random variation
    and
    >>natural selection," just because that is the only explanation we can think
    of
    >>that fits a materialistic philosophy. I'm convinced there was a lot more
    >>it than that simplistic explanation.

    Chris
    (snip long description of "emptiness" of ID and the ignorance of its
    supporters)
    Chris:
    >In short, considering the almost perfect emptiness of your theory in
    >objective terms, and the vast richness mathematically demonstrable as
    >possible with a replication and branch-by-variation method,
    >you are *hardly* in a position to be criticizing evolutionary theory as
    >*simplistic.*

    Bertvan:
    "Chance variation and natural selection" constantly makes predictions about
    the past, none of which can be verified. "A vast richness mathematically
    demonstrable-as-possible with a branch-by-variation method" sounds like a
    likely explanation of evolution to you. Until you find a way to verify that
    is what really happened (not just demonstrate that it might be
    mathematically possible), those of us to whom RM&NS sounds implausible will
    continue to look for other explanations. As for predictions, Mike Gene makes
    some in the following post. I am not qualified to evaluate them. Scientists
    will do that. Perhaps you would like to give it a try.

    http://www.arn.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000062.html

    bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan