Euphemisms and More (was What really killed T. Rex?)

From: Chris Cogan (ccogan@telepath.com)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2000 - 02:23:35 EDT

    Chris
    This post is off-topic for this list. I wouldn't have bothered with
    pointing out such obvious facts, except that Jones (and perhaps others on
    this list) does not seem to be aware of them, judging by *his* off-topic
    remarks.

    Stephen

    >http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000928/sc/health_memory_dc_1.html
    >[More evidence that language is `hardwired' into humans? And more
    >ethical problems for what is euphemistically called `pro-choice'? See next
    >story]
    ><snip>
    >http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000928/sc/abortion_approval_dc_6.html
    >[Orwell would be proud of these euphemisms: "choice" - not saying
    >what is chosen, i.e. to end a potential or actual human life. And "Planned
    >Parenthood" which is really planned *non*-parenthood!]

    Chris
    This last is often not true, since *many* people who go to them *are*
    parents or *become* parents.

    Though the term "pro life" may not be a euphemism, it, too evades an issue:
    the issue of *whose* life, and what *kind* of life (when "human life" is
    defined in terms of mere physical attributes (such as genetics and the
    nature of the physical tissues), then something is *seriously* awry. Such a
    definition of human life shows the hidden gross *materialism* of the "pro
    life" proponents, who reduce human life to such a level that a fertilized
    ovum is considered to have the same "human" status as a full-grown adult
    human being (but without the right to vote or buy alcohol, of course).
    Further, it is claimed (by implication, if not explicitly and honestly) to
    have an absolute *right* to the use of the mother's body, thus denying the
    woman's rights to own body and thus to her life (if you don't have a right
    to your body, you have no right to life at all), thus "justifying" the
    enslaving of any woman who becomes pregnant. But, since there is no
    fundamental difference between a pregnant woman and one who is not, the
    same line of "justification" can be extended to a woman's life generally,
    and, of course, to the lives of *men*, as well. Thus, what starts out as a
    claim about the rights of an alleged unborn human being becomes a flat-out
    rejection of the concept of rights in any logically coherent sense. If the
    alleged rights of one "human being" can be used to totally deny the rights
    of another human being, the concept of rights itself is reduced to logical
    nonsense -- exactly where many (both Left and Right) would *like* it to be,
    because it makes such a "flexible" concept, one that can be used to
    pseudo-justify anything that a person happens to *want* at someone else's
    involuntary expense, whether there is any rational basis for it or not.

    People who think in such terms are hardly in a position to be lecturing
    others about "ethical questions."