Re: (non-flame) Dawkin's METHINKITISLIKEAWEASEL model

From: Brian D Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 20:45:09 EDT

    At 12:39 PM 10/10/00 +0100, Richard wrote:
    >From: DNAunion@aol.com <DNAunion@aol.com>
    >
    > >DNAunion: Here are some other references I found to Dawkin's model and how
    >it works. Note that the first representation, though contained in Behe's
    >book, is not made by an IDist (it is made by E. Sober). Here is material
    >from another of my posts from another site:
    >
    >[...]
    >
    >Oh dear, oh dear. When will creationists/IDers stop beating up on this poor
    >old straw man?
    >
    >Dawkins' METHINKITISLIKEAWEASEL model was only intended to demonstrate the
    >power of cumulative selection vis-a-vis single-step selection. Dawkins made
    >this perfectly clear at the time (in The Blind Watchmaker), and specifically
    >pointed out the limitations of the model. (Sorry, I can't quote as I only
    >had the book on loan from the library.)

    Since this occurs so often, I thought I would post the appropriate paragraph
    below. Apologies if someone has already done so.

    But first a few comments. What is, to me, equally disturbing is that one hardly
    ever sees an acknowledgement of this error. I hate to brag :), but the only
    creationist I've ever seen admit to this mistake is me :). I did talk.o several
    years ago when I was still a creationist. One time I posted this type of
    criticism of the monkey. Someone, actually rather politely considering it
    was t.o :), pointed the paragraph out to me and I must say I was tremendously
    embarrassed. The possibility of just keeping quiet never occurred to me.
    A public blunder of this magnitude requires (morally, IMHO) a public apology.

    Here's the quote:

    ====begin quote======================
    Although the monkey/Shakespeare model
    is useful for explaining the distinction
    between single-step selection and cumulative
    selection, it is misleading in important
    ways. One of these is that, in each generation
    of selective 'breeding', the mutant 'progeny'
    phrases were judged according to the criterion
    of resemblance to a distant ideal target, the
    phrase METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL. Life isn't
    like that. Evolution has no long-term goal.
    There is no long-distance target, no final
    perfection to serve as a criterion for selection,
    although human vanity cherishes the absurd notion
    that our species is the final goal of evolution.
    In real life, the criterion for selection is
    always short-term, either simple survival or,
    more generally, reproductive success. If, after
    the aeons, what looks like progress towards
    some distant goal seems, with hindsight, to
    have been achieved, this is always an incidental
    consequence of many generations of short-term
    selection. The 'watchmaker' that is cumulative
    natural selection is blind to the future and has
    no long-term goal. -- Dawkins TBW

    Brian Harper
    Associate Professor
    Mechanical Engineering