Re: RM&NS and the whale (was But is it science)

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (susanb@telepath.com)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 09:25:28 EDT

    >Stephen quotes Wesley:

    > >>So when asked to give hard evidence of random mutation and natural
    > >>selection accomplishing anything *today*, Darwinists either downplay
    > >>RM&NS and talk of other mechanisms, or they present evidence of
    > >>something *trivial* (like fluctuating colours in moths or length of
    > finches'
    > >>beaks), and even then there is some doubt that RM&NS was responsible.
    >
    >SB>good god! (or deity of your choice) You quoted a participating member of
    > >this list out of context! ROFL!!!
    >
    >This is just bluster. There was no "quote...out of context"
    >
    >SB>Wesley was talking about *isolating* one of the mechanisms of evolution
    > >from the the others.
    >
    >Agreed. One of the "mechanisms" (in fact the *only* one mentioned) was
    >"Natural selection".
    >
    >SB>He didn't say it didn't exist
    >
    >I didn't say anything above about whether "Natural selection" "didn't exist".
    >
    >SB>or couldn't be observed.
    >
    >I didn't say "Natural selection" "couldn't be observed".
    >
    >Susan said "we can watch ... natural selection happen every day ..." Wesley
    >said "Natural selection, though, is notoriously difficult to empirically
    >isolate
    >as a mechanism of action."
    >
    >How can Susan "watch" something "happen every day" that is "notoriously
    >difficult to empirically isolate"? IOW how does Susan know she is watching
    >"Natural selection"?

    Wesley was talking about isolating natural selection from drift and my
    understanding was that he was talking about populations over a large amount
    of time. You see natural selection every time you spray for roaches or
    don't take all your antibiotics.

    Susan

    --------

    Always ask. Hang out with people who make you laugh. Love as many people as
    you can. Read everything you can get your hands on. Take frequent naps.
    Watch as little television as you can stand. Tell people what you want. Do
    what you love as much as you can. Dance every day.
    --------
    Please visit my website:
    http://www.telepath.com/susanb