Re: WHY DOES THE UNIVERSE WORK?

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (susanb@telepath.com)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 09:05:05 EDT

    >DNAunion:

    >*******************************
    >Charles Darwin, from the "Origin of Species":
    >
    >"From the facts alluded to in the first chapter, I think there can be no
    >doubt that use in our domestic animals has strengthened and enlarged certain
    >parts, and disuse diminished them; and that such modifications are inherited."
    >
    >"The evidence that accidental mutilations can be inherited is at present not
    >decisive; but the remarkable cases observed by Brown-Sequard in guinea pigs,
    >of the inherited effects of operations, should make us cautious in denying
    >this tendency."
    >
    >"I say within a dozen or twenty generations, for no instance is known of
    >crossed descendants reverting to an ancestor of foreign blood, removed by a
    >greater number of generations. In a breed which has been crossed only once,
    >the tendency to revert to any character derived from such a cross will
    >naturally become less and less, as in each succeeding generations there will
    >less of the foreign blood…"

    I'm not sure why you posted these interesting quotes. They seem to depict a
    Darwin sadly deprived of knowledge about genetics. After Darwin's death
    Mendel's paper was found unopened in his study.

    Susan

    --------

    Always ask. Hang out with people who make you laugh. Love as many people as
    you can. Read everything you can get your hands on. Take frequent naps.
    Watch as little television as you can stand. Tell people what you want. Do
    what you love as much as you can. Dance every day.
    --------
    Please visit my website:
    http://www.telepath.com/susanb