Re: CSI, GAs, etc.

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 22:59:07 EDT

    DNAunion: My e-mail system is giving me problems - it will not give me the
    "Message Sent" confirmation when I try to post my full reply at once.
    Therefore, I will subdivide my response into two separate posts (sorry Mr.
    Elseberry's if you do not "buy" my "lame excuse" - just live with it).

    >DNAunion: Very true. But does this not also apply to the origin of life?
    Why must Dembski have a 100% airtight, completely validated, empirically
    tried and true, perfect hypothesis, generated and completed within a couple
    years, before it is considered any more than an assertion, yet the
    purely-natural origin of life on earth is accepted as scientific fact even
    though it is not 100% airtight, it has not been completely validated, it is
    not empirically tried and true, it is not a perfect hypothesis, and very many
    researchers have been working on it for over 60 years!

    >FMAJ: The reason is very simple. Dembski's argument is based on elimination.

    > DNAunion: OOL arguments are also based on elimination too: it is just
    invisible as anything other than purely-natural processes are eliminated
    without consideration. Possibilities ARE eliminated but mostly no one
    realizes it:

    >FMAJ: You are now conflating to meanings of the word elimination. In
    science indeed competing hypotheses are eliminated based on performance and
    probabilities.

    DNAunion: No, you are missing my point. Science automatically eliminates ID
    and automatically establishes purely-natural explanations. It does use
    elimination. Furthermore, the only way I am conflating the meaning of
    elimination that you point out is based on this fact I mention: if science
    did not automatically eliminate ID, then it too would need to eliminate all
    possible pathways before one would be established. So have it your way: if I
    am conflating terms, it is only because of the built-in naturalistic bias in
    science.

    >FMAJ: ID (Dembski, Behe) however has to eliminate all natural pathways
    before it can infer design. ID does not propose a pathway that is then
    compared with existing hypotheses.

    DNAunion: The first part confirms exactly what I am saying. Naturalists
    demand that IDists MUST EXPLICITLY eliminate ALL other possible natural
    explanations before an ID explanation can be granted any credence, but
    naturalistic explanations have no burden of proof. It is fine for
    naturalists to state as scientific fact - to school children, college
    students, and those exposed to pop-science media - that life arose on Earth
    by purely natural means: yet they have no idea which of the dozens of
    potential pathways - none of which have been supported empirically - was the
    supposed actual historical one.

    >DNAunion: or do you claim that OOL researchers give alien design and divine
    design consideration each time before eliminating them as plausible
    explanations. (Even "natural" alternatives like panspermia and directed
    panspermia are eliminated for the most part: abiogenesis here on Earth is the
    default accepted position).

    >FMAJ: Based again on the probabilities of the events and the supporting
    evidence or lack thereof.

    DNAunion: Although I could ask many question, I will limit myself to just
    one: Could you explain to me how the appearance of two RNA replicases -
    close enough in space and time to find each other - is highly probable under
    plausible prebiotic conditions?

    >Chris: And even more he claims that his elimination filter has no false
    positives. Since his assertions not only rest on an infallible elimination
    but also on the existance of apparant CSI then it is indeed important for
    Dembski to do support his assertions. If your argument is that these gaps in
    Dembski's arguments can be be closed then perhaps you are right but so far
    the ID argument has quite a few problems to deal with.

    > DNAunion: As does the argument for a purely-natural origin of life on
    Earth. Did you not get that from my post?

    >FMAJ: Nope, the origin of life argument is not based on elimination of all
    other hypotheses.

    DNAunion: Yes, as I have been stating for some time now, purely-natural OOL
    is given approval not because it has been scientifically validated, but
    because it is purely-natural: as the current definition of science demands.
    It is the ground rules themselves that establish purely-natural OOL as "fact"
    - not research.

    >FMAJ Nor does science claims to have no false positives.

    DNAunion: I believe that Dembski's claim is based on his experience: he has
    submitted many events of known cause into his filter and has never come up
    with a false positive. I may be wrong, but I believe Dembski's statement
    might be more induction than a absolute claim (I have not reread his material
    on this, so I don't doubt that I might be wrong).

    By the way, isn't the statement "evolution is fact, Fact, FACT!" an example
    of an infallible scientific claim?

    >DNAunion: It seems the main difference between the two is not objective,
    but subjective: it is that as others have stated, "you guys" get a free ride:
    the burden of proof is thrust upon "us" and off of "you guys", who
    automatically win because "you guys" were the ones that made the current
    rules.

    >FMAJ: Non sequitor. You are avoiding the issue: If Dembski claims
    infallibility of the filter, should he then not support his claim?

    DNAunion: Could you quote his actual statements? Is Dembski stating that in
    his many attempts to create a false positive that he hasn't, or is he
    claiming that his filter will absolutely never generate a false positive?

    >DNAunion: Sounds kind of unfair: absolute proof required for Dembski, while
    only a couple successes here and there - out of millions or trillions of
    steps - are sufficient to establish biopoesis as scientific fact.

    >Chris: Nice strawman.

    > DNAunion: Nice ad hom.

    >FMAJ: How can pointing out a strawman being an ad hominem argument.

    DNAunion: If Chris can't support his claim.

    >DNAunion: Care to explain how mine was a strawman?

    >FMAJ: First you explain the ad hominem argument.

    DNAunion: No, Chris should explain first. After all, it was he who made the
    first charge - shouldn't he be the first to support a charge?

    >FMAJ: Okay, just this time then: Dembski claims infallibility of his filter.

    DNAunion: Got a long unedited quote to support this?

    >FMAJ: Do you see any such claims made by scientists?

    DNAunion: How about, "evolution is fact, Fact, FACT!"

    >FMAJ: Not to mention your unsupported claim of "biopoesis as scientific
    fact" Any references to support this?

    DNAunion: I have only one that I have a flagged in my notes - if you read a
    lot of OOL material, you will see what I am talking about. Here is the one
    quote I mentioned:

    "These experimental results and the findings that considerably higher
    concentrations of REE [Rare Earth Elements] might have been dissolved in the
    primitive sea water (Bowen, 1966; Cloud, 1968), suggest that accumulation of
    phosphate monoester compounds, such as AMP and GMP, the concentrations of
    which in the primitive sea were expected to be sufficiently high to produce
    nucleic acids in the later process of chemical evolution, might have been
    impossible. Therefore, the origin of life as a consequence of chemical
    evolution might also have been impossible. HOWEVER, LIFE ON EARTH DEVELOPED
    VIA CHEMICAL EVOLUTION."" (Misuhiko Akaboshi, et. al., Inhibition of Rare
    Earth Catalytic Activity by Proteins, Origins of Life and Evolution of the
    Biosphere, Vol 30, No 1. Feb 2000, p 25)

    Despite what looked like damning conditions, the authors firmly stated - and
    the statement made it past any peer-review - that life on Earth arose by
    chemical evolution. No doubts; no qualifiers; just the plain simple
    scientific fact (which is unsupported). What is their proposal that saves
    the day? That certain proteins can bind to REE and the complexes then
    precipitate out of solution (clump and fall to the ocean floor, eliminating
    the REE from the areas where nucleic acids could form). So their answer
    requires proteins (not just amino acids) to have been at least fairly
    ubiquitous - in the sea, no less - prior to the appearance of nucleic acids.
    Possible, but hardly fact.

    >[unkown poster]: I know that science can be painful, but in case of a new
    thesis such as Dembski's it is quite necessary that such work is done.

    >DNAunion: So we can't accept it until it is fully proven? But the
    purely-natural origin of life is elevated to scientific fact on flimsy and
    scant evidence?

    >FMAJ: Strawman again. I never made such an assertion.

    DNAunion: Nice ad hom. (Here we go again!)

    >FMAJ: But ID has made some claims of certainty, these need to be supported.

    DNAunion: Double standard. You demand that ID support its claims, but that
    naturalists (such as OOL researchers) don't have to.

    >FMAJ: Furthermore since ID is based on elimination of all competing
    hypotheses …

    DNAunion: Because of the bias built-in to science by naturalists.

    >FMAJ: … and naturalistic origin of life is not so restricted

    DNAunion: Yes, the double standard again.