Re: Reply to CCogan: Waste and computer evolution

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 21:14:12 EDT

    >Chris: Not so. For the same general burden of proof reasons, we may
    presume until evidence indicates otherwise, that the intelligent causes, if
    any, are naturalistic.

    > DNAunion: So "you guys" win by default? You don't need a shred of
    evidence, you just simply win. "You guys" have no burden of proof to bear?
    Nice double standards.

    >FMAJ: No it isn't.

    DNAunion: Yes it is, as you yourself confirm.

    >FMAJ: ID is based on the elimination of naturalistic mechanisms (or
    chance) and as such indeed we may presume either naturalistic causes (if such
    can be formulated) or "we don't know".

    DNAunion: Yep, just as I said. IDists have to "prove" their position:
    "naturalists" don't. Why is something not presumed to be intelligently
    designed until a purely-natural explanation is presented? Answer: The
    current ground rules of science, which were setup by "naturalists". (A
    philosopher of science would be better able to support my statement than I).

    >FMAJ: Either way, the conclusion is not ID. Of course there is a burden of
    proof if the claim that a particular naturalistic pathway did it but in order
    to show that ID applies it has to be shown that no naturalistic pathway
    applied.

    DNAunion: Yep, just as I said. IDists have to "disprove" ALL other possible
    explanations: "naturalists" don't have to disprove ANY non-purely-natural
    explanations.

    Note also that you yourself only mention any burden of proof on naturalists
    in respect to their "proving" one naturalistic explanation over another
    naturalistic explanation. Interesting, isn't it?

    >FMAJ: That's quite a burden but inherent to the ID argument.

    DNAunion: Yep, built right into science: imposed by the ground rules of
    science as defined by naturalists. Thanks for supporting my statements.

    Now, what would be fair? It would be fair if neither side and no
    explanations could be claimed as scientific fact until such a position was
    actually fully supported.

    >Chris: Further, since we only have a theoretical means of recognizing
    intelligent design by naturalistically-occurring beings (i.e., humans, aliens
    (because they would necessarily live under the same *basic* conditional
    factors, limitations, and constraints as we do)), we have yet another reason
    for presuming that any "design" we claim to see should be regarded by
    presumption as design by metaphysically naturalistic beings.

    >DNAunion: I agree that the items I listed are not supernatural, and thus
    could be somehow (mis)classified as "natural", but you cannot get away from
    the fact that they do not arise by purely-natural means: merely by the laws
    of physics and chemistry: that intelligence must direct their creation. You
    don't go out to a beach and see a computer or an airplane or a television set
    form before your eyes by the simple shuffling of atoms and molecules.

    >FMAJ: That by itself is not sufficient evidence of supernatural design.

    DNAunion: So? Stop and listen to the people to whom you are responding:
    stop imposing your single homogenous, prejudiced, and stereotypical
    "religious" and "supernaturalist" labels on all IDists. Show me in any of my
    statements at this site where I am arguing for supernatural design. Can't?
    Didn't think so. Why? Because I am not. If you are going to reply to me,
    then please do so. If you just want to rant on about something unrelated to
    my arguments, then take it elsewhere.

    >FMAJ: Your claim that intelligence needs to direct their creation implies
    inclusion of natural selection as the intelligent designer.

    DNAunion: No, your statement again shows your overriding desire to twist
    everything around to your favorite point, no matter how unrelated the
    original material is. How does my stating that a four-stroke reciprocating
    internal combustion engine (or a television) needs intelligence and design in
    its creation imply that natural selection is an intelligent designer? Please
    explain your goofy logic.

    >FMAJ: You see intelligence is not necessary, merely an algorithm, a
    process. The last example confuses natural selection i.e. regularity with
    chance.

    DNAunion: Could it be that you really have no idea what you are talking
    about in your arguments against ID? Do you just throw together a few of the
    catch phrases (regularity, algorithm, natural selection, etc.), misusing them
    sometimes ("natural selection i.e. regularity") and give the appearance of
    making a factual or coherent claim? (that is, when you are not trying to
    directly drag every single conversation back to your single anti-ID point -
    which is most of the time). Could you try to figure out what it was you were
    trying to say (about my mentioning that a four-stroke reciprocating internal
    combustion engine - or a TV - needs intelligence and design in its creation)
    and restate it coherently?

    >DNAunion: If you want to classify intelligent input by ETI's, computer and
    other engineers, systems analysts and computer programmers, electricians and
    electrical engineers, geneticists, protein engineers, etc. as natural, that
    is your business. The general consensus is that such input is better defined
    as intelligent, and that the items produced by such intelligences (as listed
    above) are NOT natural.

    >FMAJ: By definition you are excluding natural processes as intelligent.

    DNAunion: Polly want a cracker? (After all, all you ever do is parrot this
    single Elseberry claim).

    >FMAJ: If that is the case then ID has lost its foundation in a scientific
    foundation and has now become a definition of non-natural.

    DNAunion: Your statements are flawed and your argument invalid. Were life
    on Earth to have been seeded by an ETI (after that race of ETIs designed and
    created it), Earth-life would have been intelligently designed and could have
    arisen without a "drop" of natural selection being involved in the process
    itself. The process could completely exclude natural selection and
    completely exclude supernatural intervention, and still be intelligent
    design. Can't you grasp this flaw of yours that I keep pointing out?

    >FMAJ: While perhaps theologically satisfying this is not scientifically
    satisfying.

    DNAunion: While you arguments may be personally satisfying to you, they are
    based on flawed premises.

    >Chris: If you, or Behe, or Johnson, or Dembski, or anyone else can come up
    with a *rational* way of specifying what divine design would necessarily look
    like, then go right ahead.

    > DNAunion: If you, [someone who posts here], Dawkins, or Orgel, or anyone
    else can come up with a valid and detailed explanation for the purely-natural
    origin of life here on Earth, go right ahead. In the meantime, "you guys"
    should not state as fact that it occurred here on Earth by purely natural
    means: assumptions are not the same as facts, no matter how much
    "naturalists" wish them to be.

    >FMAJ: We have however evidence of natural processes. Does ID have evidence
    of supernatural processes?

    DNAunion: No, numbskull, it doesn't have to because ID doesn't have to be
    supernatural! Learn that fact: Accept that fact: Incorporate that fact into
    your arguments (i.e., drop the strawman).

    [snip same old stuff by FMAJ]

    >DNAunion: By the way, why must "you guys" always turn "our" arguments into
    GOD arguments. I notice that the word GOD (and divine etc.) come up far more
    by anti-IDists than by IDists. Why? Because "you guys" want so badly to
    label ID as a religious idea.

    >FMAJ: Then provide us with an ID pathway that is not supernatural. I'd love
    to see you propose one and then we can determine what evidence exists to
    support it.

    DNAunion: Those are two separate things. I have already proposed a
    non-supernatural and non-religious ID position: that life on Earth appeared
    according to a form of Directed Panspermia. This by itself invalidates your
    whole "label" strategy.

    As far as evidence, all I have at this point is analogy (in what we humans
    have done and are planning to do) along with the fact that intelligent
    intervention could overcome all the hurdles associated with a purely-natural
    OOL here on Earth under the conditions presumed present at that time, in the
    limited amount of time available. To me, this speaks of a form of
    ID-Directed Panspermia as being more parsimonious with the known data.

    >DNAunion: What if all of "us guys" continually mislabeled evolution as an
    atheistic idea? If in every single reply "we" made - not just here and not
    just us, but every IDist and every Creationist on every board, book, and TV
    show - began driving in the "fact" that all evolutionists were atheists (or
    even Nazis): would you consider that fair? I don't think

    >FMAJ: Non sequitor.

    DNAunion: Sorry to disappoint you once again, but the reversal of positions
    is valid. You (and others of your ilk) setup the strawman argument that ID
    is purely religious and deals only with a supernatural designer. But you see
    no problem with this. However, when I propose that IDists and Creationists
    turn the table and label all "evolutionists" as atheists - to demonstrate the
    error of your ways using reverse logic - you just brush it aside as
    irrelevant. You don't like to think about your own tactics being used
    against you, do you?

    >DNAunion: So why do "you people" keep doing to "us people" what you would
    not want us to do to you - that is, make the other person's beliefs out to be
    something they are not in order to gain some points.

    >FMAJ: Non sequitor, distraction from the issue.

    DNAunion: Nope. This is exactly the issue. You (and other like you)
    repeatedly and consistently present your incorrect interpretation of ID in
    order to gain some quick and easy points. How would you react were "We" to
    do the same for your evolutionary position? The question is valid: you just
    wish to avoid it as to answer it, you would be, to some extent, acknowledging
    your side's own wrongdoing. That is why you keep misclassifying my counter
    arguments as "non sequitur" and a "distraction". The only thing I am
    "distracting" from is your incorrect views: not a valid point you are making.

    >Chris: But, until then, and until evidence is found that "works" better
    with that concept of divine design than with naturalistic design, divine
    design is verbal and conceptual fog.

    > DNAunion: Great - so when was I talking about divine design? Who are you
    addressing? Surely not me. If you are going to respond to MY posts, then
    doesn't it make that you respond to MY statements?

    >FMAJ: So what do you suppose designed ID?

    DNAunion: Your question makes little sense. Care to elaborate on your
    thoughts further so that I might be able to understand what it is you are
    asking?

    >DNAunion: By the way, using your logic, I come up with, "But until then,
    until evidence is found that works better with the concept of a
    purely-natural origin of life here on Earth than with an
    intelligently-directed model, then abiogenesis is verbal and conceptual fog."

    >FMAJ: A few problems with this argument: First of all concepts of a natural
    origin of life exist. What is the intelligently directed model?

    DNAunion: Simple - ETIs designed and created life as we know it and then
    seeded Earth with it. Thus, a concept of non-supernatural, non-religious ID
    origin of Earthly life.

    By the way, if there are dozens of "concepts of a natural origin of life" on
    Earth, and there was only a single origin of life - as is assumed - then the
    VERY BEST naturalists could hope for was being wrong dozens of ways - 1!
    Scary, isn't it.

    >FMAJ: Until ID stops relying on elimination of natural pathways, ID can and
    will not contribute much to science.

    DNAunion: Irrelevant to the point being discussed. By the way, I noticed
    how you said that there were a *few* problems with my statement, yet you
    presented only one which was easily handled.

    >FMAJ:Let's focus on evolution for instance,

    DNAunion: No. The rest of your response is irrelevant to my statements you
    were addressing: you have switched the subject from the OOL to life's
    subsequent evolution

    [snip FMAJ's irrelevant stuff]