Re: Future of this list?

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 18:01:39 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Fri, 06 Oct 2000 21:42:07 -0500, Susan Brassfield Cogan wrote:

    >TG>I'm seriously considering shutting down the evolution list in the near
    >>future. My distance from Calvin College (the host institution) is
    >>increasing and consequently they are wanting to see someone local take over
    >>the management of the list or to have it relocated.

    [...]

    >>Let me hear from you, either on the list itself or via email to me privately.

    SB>I'm torn. On the one hand there are really only two full-time ID supporters
    >on this list--Jones and Bertvan--and we've talked them half to death. It
    >might be time to move on. On the other hand, I've trolled around quite a
    >few evol/crea lists and don't care for the incivility I often see there.

    Hmmmm!

    SB>This list list is reasonably polite and that's nice. (I'm assuming DNAUnion
    >and his flamethrower is a temporary or at least singular phenomenon.) I've
    >considered joining the ASA list. ... Therefore I want to debate the most recent
    >permutation of creationism which is ID and which for the time being has
    >proponents who are worth talking to.

    Thanks to Susan for the belated compliment.

    But see my post sent today:

    Re: Posting from other resources

    On Sun, 08 Oct 2000 08:59:37 +0800, Stephen E. Jones wrote:

    >If the rules are going to be enforced then they *all* need to be enforced,
    >including those about the moderator stepping in an terminating
    >discourteous, destructive and boringly repetitive posts. These are a far
    >greater problem and indeed will probably bring about the demise of the
    >Reflector itself in the not-to-distant future.

    Personally I think the time has come to close the Calvin Reflector, unless
    a moderator can be found.

    It seems it is impossible to maintain an unmoderated List in this topic of
    Creation/ Evolution and I am surprised it has lasted this long. It is a pity,
    because it had the potential to foster ongoing mutual understanding
    between both sides of this `culture war'. It has certainly been a *great*
    help to my understanding.

    I thank Terry for maintaining it this long. Perhaps Terry can give us an idea
    of the time-frame he is thinking of?

    Stephen E. (Steve) Jones ,--_|\ Email: sejones@iinet.net.au
    3 Hawker Avenue / Oz \ Web: http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones
    Warwick 6024 -> *_,--\_/ Phone: +61 8 9448 7439
    Perth, Western Australia v "Test everything." (1 Thess. 5:21)