Re: CSI, GAs, etc.

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 05:40:39 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:54:06 -0500, Paul Nelson wrote:

    [...]

    PN>When I spoke at the University of Colorado a couple
    >of weeks ago, a bright undergraduate came up after
    >the talk and said, "Dr. Nelson, you've just GOT to
    >go on the net and play Conway's 'Game of Life' --
    >that will answer all the questions you have about
    >natural selection!" I listened as this young man
    >described the remarkable, organismal-appearing
    >patterns that arise from what he called "a few
    >simple rules."
    >
    >Interesting, I replied. But then there's Conway.
    >Right?
    >
    >The undergraduate was silent for a moment, and looked
    >down at his feet. So I went on:
    >
    >All evolutionary algorithms that we know have at least
    >one author, or intelligent designer. In the case of
    >the Game of Life, for instance, that would be Conway.
    >In many (all?) cases, the authors work hard writing
    >code, and debugging that code, to ensure that their
    >programs run and actually produce results.

    [...]

    Which reminds me of what George Wald pointed out about Wohler's
    alleged abiotoc synthesis of the first organic compound, urea:

            "This brings the argument back to its first stage: the origin of
            organic compounds. Until a century and a quarter ago the only
            known source of these substances was the stuff of living organisms
            Students of chemistry are usually told that when, in 1828, Friedrich
            Wohler synthesized the first organic compound, urea, he proved
            that organic compounds do not require living organisms to make
            them. Of course it showed nothing of the kind. Organic chemists
            are alive; Wohler merely showed that they can make organic
            compounds externally as well as internally. It is still true that with
            almost negligible exceptions all the organic matter we know is the
            product of living organisms." (Wald W., "The origin of life,"
            Scientific American, Vol. 191, No. 2, August 1954, pp.45-53, p.48)

    On Mon, 02 Oct 2000 15:41:45 -0400, Howard J. Van Till wrote:

    HVT>Paul, you have radically changed your position. Great! What I see below is
    >consistent with my concept of a universe fully gifted by its Creator with a
    >robust formational economy so that it has all of the requisite capabilities
    >to actualize the whole array of life forms that have appeared in the course
    >of earth history--without occasional episodes of form-imposing intervention.
    >Welcome to my RFEP club!! I'll have your membership card sent ASAP.

    [...]

    No one in ID AFAIK has ever denied that Howard's "concept of a universe
    fully gifted by its Creator with a robust formational economy" is a
    possibility within ID. What Howard wants is for it to be the *only*
    possibility. There was a long debate on this between Howard and Dembski
    on the ASA Reflector where Dembski accepted that on more than one
    occasion that Howard's "fully-gifted creation" model could be accepted
    as one of the possible models of ID, but not the *only* possible ID model:

    Design as Concept, Sign, and Production
    William A. Dembski (bill@desiderius.com)
    Tue, 6 Apr 1999 12:37:54 -0600

    What I'm saying is that intelligent design seems to me compatible with a
    fully-gifted creation so long as this fully-gifted creation does not reduce
    nature to nature as conceived by the scientific naturalist. Intelligent
    design's contribution to this richer conception of nature is then to
    discover that nature is chocked-full of complex information-rich structures
    that are not reducible natural processes as conceived by the scientific
    naturalist.

    In saying that intelligent design is compatible with a fully-gifted
    creation, I'm not saying that intelligent design requires a fully-gifted
    creation. A watch that never needs to be wound is a fully-gifted watch and
    better than one that needs to be wound. But a musical instrument, like a
    piano, does not become fully-gifted by being transformed into a
    player-piano. Gregory of Nazianzus, a church father of the 4th century,
    made a design argument in which God was compared to a lutemaker and the
    world to a lute. Lutes by their constitution and structure show clear
    evidence of design. But their design is not less perfect because they
    require a luteplayer, who in Gregory's analogy is God. The question of
    intervention vs. fully-gifted creation thus remains an open question within
    the intelligent design movement.

    Response to Howard Van Till and Allan Harvey
    William A. Dembski (bill@desiderius.com)
    Sat, 10 Apr 1999 19:11:09 -0600

    [...]

    HVT>4. For example, the presence of evidence for 'intelligent design,' as
    >defined above, would *not* by itself be sufficient to establish whether the
    >mode of assembly (or production) either, a) necessarily *included* episodes
    >of assembly by the form-imposing action of an extranatural agent, or b)
    >necessarily *excluded* historical actualization by 'natural means,' that
    >is, by the exercise of the creaturely capabilities characteristic of a
    >'fully gifted Creation' that was from the outset equipped by its Creator
    >with a 'robust formational economy.'

    We're back to the "nature of nature" problem. If your fully gifted nature
    is richer than the chance and necessity of the scientific naturalists and
    is compatible with the possibility that there are features in nature which
    in principle cannot be explained scientifically within the limits of
    naturalistic science, then I would say fine. But if your fully gifted
    nature is empirically equivalent to the nature of the scientific
    naturalist, then I would say your view cannot properly be assimilated to
    intelligent design.

    Howard's claim that his "fully gifted" model is the *only* possibility is
    evident in his continued use of pejorative language like "form-*imposing*
    intervention" (my emphasis) to carry his argument. This begs the question
    by making design up front look good and design incorporating subsequent
    intervention look bad. This has been pointed out to Howard many times,
    but he just keeps right on doing it! This indicates that Howard *has* to use
    pejorative language to carry his argument, which then doesn't say much for
    it as an argument.

    Besides, it has been pointed out to Howard by a Professor of Mechanical
    Engineering that Howard's "creation on `autopilot'" model would be *bad*
    design, while planned interventions later on when needed would be *good* design:

            "But what about Van Till's claim that creation is somehow more
            gifted if all events are done with creation on "autopilot," all
            developments somehow being incorporated into the initial design
            scheme? I believe such a design would substantially compromise the
            universe that we have in one of several ways. First if the provision
            of information is to come through the assignment of properties to
            matter, then the outcomes that are possible will be significantly
            limited by the initial property assignments given. If, for example,
            the sequencing of amino acids in proteins were due to the chemical
            bonding preferences, then only one or a few sequences would be
            permissible, severely limiting the varieties of proteins that could be
            produced. On the other hand, when this information is provided by
            other means the number of ways that biopolymers (such as
            proteins) or systems (such as living cells) can be organized is indeed
            unlimited.

            Second, the constraint of trying to put all of the information into
            the initial properties may have some very significant performance
            penalties that are not apparent at first glance. Suppose that I
            wanted to design an automobile that could self-assemble. It would
            certainly be possible in principle to make such an automobile.
            However, the degree of complexity associated with these additional
            requirements would greatly increase the cost and would almost
            certainly compromise the performance, since these additional
            capabilities come at a high cost of additional complexity that is
            useful only in the assembly but not thereafter. In the same way,
            there may be some significant design compromises in a universe
            that is able to unfold with all the necessary information
            incorporated into the properties of matter.

            In summary, there is no rational basis for Van Till's claim that a
            universe that unfolds entirely on autopilot represents a better design
            or a more fully gifted creation by God than one in which not all of
            the necessary information is imparted in the properties of matter
            alone but is incorporated at certain critical points in the
            developmental history of the universe.

            (Bradley W.L. in Moreland J.P. & Reynolds J.M., eds., "Three
            Views on Creation and Evolution," 1999, pp.135-136)

    "Ironically it is this apparent strength of the theory-that it can explain so
    much-which may be its Achilles' heel. Neo-Darwinism is incredibly
    ambitious; it attempts to explain a vast part of reality, all the subtlety and
    complexity of nature, in one breath. But do all the individual pieces of this
    cosmic jigsaw puzzle actually fit together? It is all very well to half close
    your eyes and imagine you see a coherent picture, but what is it like in
    close-up?" (Leith B., "The Descent of Darwin: A Handbook of Doubts
    about Darwinism," Collins: London, 1982, p.20)
    Stephen E. Jones | Ph. +61 8 9448 7439 | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones