Re: CSI, GAs, etc.

From: Ivar Ylvisaker (ylvisaki@erols.com)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 01:42:46 EDT

    There is no generally accepted, scientific origin-of-life theory.
    No such theory is a scientific fact. I am not sure what my previous
    sentence is supposed to mean but if "fact" = "true," then there is
    no OOL theory that is "true." For that matter, there is no scientific
    theory of any kind that is "true."

    Dembski's approach to science is a very dubious one. He doesn't
    propose hypotheses and then seek to verify them. Rather, he attempts
    to deduce conclusions by demonstrating that all alternative hypotheses
    are effectively impossible. And he claims that his conclusions are
    never wrong (i.e., no false positives). This isn't science and it
    doesn't work.

    Ivar