Re: WHY DOES THE UNIVERSE WORK?

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 02:23:10 EDT

    In a message dated 10/2/2000 9:49:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
    Bertvan@aol.com writes:

    > Most Darwinists consider these discussions debates, with the winner being
    > the
    > one who can think up the most offensive insults, the most scathing sarcasm.

    Could you quantify these unsupported assertions? Could you even document them?

    > Most Darwinists also seem more interested in bashing religion than in
    > discussing evolution. Neither of these appear true of you so far. Nor
    > have

    Could you quantify these assertions and could you document them.

    > I found such attitudes prevalent among skeptics of Darwinism. I call myself
    > an ID supporter as much out of distaste for ID critics, as commitment to
    > any
    > particular ID concept. Some scientists have claimed to find a design

    That's imho a poor reason to chose to oppose Darwinism. I guess that the
    distasteful past of the Christian Church should mean that I should not be a
    Christian?

    > inference helpful. I haven't noticed anyone trying to impose this concept
    > upon scientists who don't find it helpful. However, ID critics appear

    ID is (ab)used by some groups to do exactly that.

    > offended that any scientist should use an inference they don't find useful.
    > What is it to them? Why should the biologists at Baylor raise such a fuss
    > about it even being discussed at their university? Why the constant
    > insistence that any skepticism of Darwinism (chance variation and natural
    > selection) is equal to "creationism"?

    The real issue is: Is ID scientifically useful. So far the ball is still in
    the ID court. That you are not interested in science is obvious but do not
    hold others to your own standards.

    > Some argue that science is merely methodological naturalism. In that case,
    > science should remain silent on questions of teleology and origins. I
    > agree

    And it is. So why the strawman?

    > with Johnson that in biology, science has tried to exceeded it's authority
    > by
    > declaring that evolution can be explained by purely naturalistic mechanisms
    > -
    > and Darwinism seems to be the best naturalistic explanation anyone has been
    > able to come up with. My participation in these discussions is a search
    > for

    You are now confusing science with scientists.

    > explanations. I also find them helpful to clarify my own thoughts. I've
    > found people supporting ID to be more open to new thoughts than those
    > defending Darwinism.

    Good for you. I tend to disagree with your viewpoint though.