Re: Reply to CCogan: Waste and computer evolution

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 13:48:35 EDT

    *******************

    *****************

    ******************

    *************

    >Chris: You are just repeating what I said, in effect. Humans produce so
    much waste
     in the production of computer programs precisely *because* we are *not*
     intelligent enough to write the final version in one go. Are you claiming
     that your designer is no smarter than the average human *programmer*?

    **************

    DNAunion: There you go: now you are getting the general idea!

    Most anti-ID people at this site (Susan is one example) conflate ID with
    Creationism - doing so is wrong. Versions of Directed Panspermia fit into ID
    and do not invoke any supernatural beings or supernatural processes. A
    civilization of ETIs just 100 years more advanced than ourselves would likely
    be able to create life from non-life, and spacecraft to seed other planets
    (we ourselves are planning to transport bacteria and algae to Mars during our
    proposed tera forming of the red planet, and in fact, we already have
    transported bacteria to the moon, left them for over a year, and then
    retrieved them!).

    In addition, unlike Creationism, ID is not anti-evolution. "Pure" ID accepts
    evolution, just not its claimed unlimited creative powers (for example, the
    ability to create life from non-life).

    *************

    >Ccogan: (Actually, given the smallness of the steps of improvement, and the
    fact that often millions or billions of variations are produced all during
    the same generation, we'd have to suggest that the designer was not even as
    smart as the average human programmer -- or else had so *little* knowledge
    about what it was doing that it could only proceed by blind trial and error
    -- but, of course, that's exactly what we naturalistic evolutionists claim
    Nature does.)

    DNAunion: So? IDists, including Behe, do not deny that evolution occurs.
    Behe's book is subtitled "The Biochemical CHALLENGE to Evolution", not "The
    Biochemical REFUTATION of Evolution". In addition, Behe states he finds the
    argument for commone descent convincing and accepts that Darwinian evolution
    accounts for much biological change.

    It is a straw man to present ID and evolution as being mutually exclusive.