Re: Intelligence without a brain?

From: DNAunion@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 23:14:36 EDT

    >Bertvan: For those who claim to know exactly what intelligence is --
     merely a brain function.

    >Chris: If what is described in the article is considered intelligence,
    then
     the average computer program is definitely intelligent. I am personally
     willing to accept such a concept of intelligence-as-computation, but will
     point out that it is perfectly "materialistic" in that it doesn't require
     anything that mindless matter can't do.

    >DNAunion: It appears to me that you agree that intelligence is not
    confined
     to a brain, and further, that intelligence is not confined to life as we
    know
     it. Is this true?

    >FMA: The "actualization-exclusion-specification" triad mentioned above
    also fits natural selection rather precisely. One might thus conclude that
    Dembski's argument establishes that natural selection can be recognized as an
    intelligent agent. "

     http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/zgists/wre/papers/dembski7.html

    It's important to define intelligence since otherwise the use of "Intelligent
    Design" can lead to a lot of confusion.

    >DNAunion: Okay, so will you answer my original questions.
    (1) Is intelligence confined to brains?
    (2) Is intelligence confined to life as we know it?