Re: Intelligence without a brain?

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 22:15:50 EDT

    In a message dated 10/1/2000 7:14:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    DNAunion@aol.com writes:

    << >Bertvan: For those who claim to know exactly what intelligence is --
    merely
    a brain function.

    >Chris: If what is described in the article is considered intelligence, then
    the average computer program is definitely intelligent. I am personally
    willing to accept such a concept of intelligence-as-computation, but will
    point out that it is perfectly "materialistic" in that it doesn't require
    anything that mindless matter can't do.

    DNAunion: It appears to me that you agree that intelligence is not confined
    to a brain, and further, that intelligence is not confined to life as we know
    it. Is this true?

        The "actualization-exclusion-specification" triad mentioned above also
        fits natural selection rather precisely. One might thus conclude that
        Dembski's argument establishes that natural selection can be recognized
        as an intelligent agent. "

    http://inia.cls.org/~welsberr/zgists/wre/papers/dembski7.html

    It's important to define intelligence since otherwise the use of "Intelligent
    Design" can lead to a lot of confusion.