fear of the religious implications of design

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 12:22:37 EDT

    Hi Ivar,
    Fear of religion seems to be common among people either promoting Darwinism
    or opposing ID. (I'm unsure which most of you are doing, fighting traditional
    religion or promoting your own religion - materialism. The tone of the
    arguments resembles the emotionalism usually associated with religious
    zealotry.) In discussions about evolution, I'm finding religious people more
    tolerant and open minded that the materialists. Most ID supporters seem
    willing to tolerate any number of naturalistic explanations. However they do
    not regard random processes adequate to completely explain nature's
    complexity. Fear of religion seems silly to me. Historically, the trend is
    toward a lessening power of organized religions. However I suppose fear is
    often not rational.

    I am a politically liberal agnostic, and don't believe that traditional
    religion and materialism are not the only alternatives. I have nothing
    against materialistic explanations. I, myself, considered them a reasonable
    explanation of evolution before learning how complex nature actually is. ID
    probably means different things to different people, but all those supporting
    ID seek to look beyond materialism -- materialism, as we now know it, in any
    case. No one is ever going to prove the nonexistence of God. Those trying
    to explain the universe materialistically are as doomed to failure as the
    alchemists were. I suspect we have to consider things we now regard as
    "supernatural", such as mind, free will, creativity, intelligence,
    consciousness, spontaneity, etc. In the meantime I embrace ID as the only
    effective opposition to "random mutation and natural selection".

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan